Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Homosexuality Thread Lock

How can we have political discussion if people can't express their beliefs? Even more, how can we help bigots overcome their bigotry if we can't talk to them about their beliefs? There's a big difference between personal attacks and explaining your beliefs. Many are offended by the idea of drug legalization as well. Are threads concerning that topic going to start getting locked next?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Homosexuality Thread Lock

ATF
Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM

I'd move this to ATF, but threads on this topic are getting locked over there too. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

We can have plenty of political discussion. However, when one bases their beliefs on racism or other bigotry, it won't be permitted. It is true that Stu was very respectful in that thread. However, bigots can be respectful: up until the 1930's or so, legitimate scientists were coming up with theories about how black people were inferior to whites. Its not our job to help bigots from overcoming bigotry, its my job to prevent bigoted messages from being spread.

For more explanation, search my other posts on this topic in the last few days here and in ATF. I'm not going to let this thread run for very long, so say your peace now.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not our job to help bigots from overcoming bigotry, its my job to prevent bigoted messages from being spread.

[/ QUOTE ] This is the bottom line on this subject.

And I think 2+2 should allow the homosexuality thread; the fact of the matter is that 2+2 DOES NOT allow it, so Iron must lock it.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, when one bases their beliefs on racism or other bigotry, it won't be permitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could easily make the argument that 95% of the posts in this forum are based on bigotry. It's bigotry to not allow drug users to have their drugs. I find both sides of the abortion issue to be chock full of bigotry. Shall we ban someone every time they use the term "pro-death" instead of "pro-choice" or "anti-choice" instead of "pro-life" or maybe every time someone says "jackbooted thuggery". This is all bigotted behavior. This isn't about bigotry, this is about political correctness run amuck over one specific form of bigotry, and while I would agree with banning a post like this in most of the forums, doing it in the Politics forum on an opnion that million of Americans share is equivalent to an official position by the moderators saying "Democrats good, Republicans bad".
Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ATF

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I was looking through online slang dictionaries to find out what this meant. Didn't get it until Iron used it in context. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM

We can't escape the use of judgement, and must draw the line somewhere. The most obvious bigotry, or that which is considered by most to be bigotry, can still be avoided via this policy.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM

Anyone that took the time to read Stu's posts could tell that not only was he bigotted, he was also very dishonest in the way he constantly (1) attempted to switch the debate (2) not only asserted his propaganda but also falsely asserted that he had already proven said asserions and (3) ignoring those that could see through his dishonesty and fallacious logic including eventually all of mine, zeejustin, and a couple other posters posts.

He was not interested in debate and discussion. He was interested in spreading propaganda and bigotry.

FYI, threads he participated in that gave this away-
LONG first thread on gay marriage ban
Thread on how South Africa is allowing gay marriage
Stu's OP stating that homosexuality is a defect
Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't escape the use of judgement, and must draw the line somewhere. The most obvious bigotry, or that which is considered by most to be bigotry, can still be avoided via this policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we don't have to draw the line anywhere. You cannot have political discussion without the freedom to express opinions that people disagree with. And "the most obvious bigotry" is a bunch of B.S. That statement itself expresses bigotry towards Stu's beliefs. Shall we delete your post now? Oh wait, I've expressed bigotry towards your bigotry of his bigotted beliefs. GG me!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that took the time to read Stu's posts could tell that not only was he bigotted, he was also very dishonest in the way he constantly (1) attempted to switch the debate (2) not only asserted his propaganda but also falsely asserted that he had already proven said asserions and (3) ignoring those that could see through his dishonesty and fallacious logic including eventually all of mine, zeejustin, and a couple other posters posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but this isn't the reason the thread was locked. Are you now attempting to switch the debate yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] All people debating like that do is hurt their position, so he was actually doing us a service!!
Closed Thread