Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 AM

Default 75o Blind defense - spew or no spew?

SB is lagtard who is almost all in. UTG is slightly loose PF, but not totally awful/spewy post.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $9 (All-In).

Final Pot: 15.90 BB
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: 75o Blind defense - spew or no spew?

How can this possibly be spew?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 AM

No spew. Flop raise is pretty standard then you got stuck. You picked up a nice draw on the turn and cannot fold. On the river, I typically just call.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Yeah, I think I play this the same. The only thing that I'm debating is a pf call. We're getting 7 to 1 though with good relative position so I think it's fine. I just had a hand where UTG raised and the whole table called so I called in the BB w T3os. Is that a spew? I was thinking with 11 to 1 it couldn't be much of a mistake and some of the players were really bad.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 AM

utg's raising range crushes you too much, so fold preflop. on the flop i just call to see what utg does. i think you're behind sb or utg or just needing to dodge to many cards too often to raise to try to fold overcards.

after the flop raise it's standard imo. if sb isn't all-in on the river then calling becomes an option.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
utg's raising range crushes you too much, so fold preflop. on the flop i just call to see what utg does. i think you're behind sb or utg or just needing to dodge to many cards too often to raise to try to fold overcards.

after the flop raise it's standard imo. if sb isn't all-in on the river then calling becomes an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, I agree about PF. Certainly with &lt;2 callers in front, I'm folding.

Flop raise is somewhere between hand protection and value raise, given that even if behind (and after flop gets capped, I know I need to improve...) I have up to 9 outs.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 AM

The flop raise depends on our read of the SB as lagtardish, right? We're hoping he has air and we get heads up with the best made hand in a big pot a nontrivial proportion of the time. Do you still raise if an average player bets out here?

On the river I'd rather go for the overcall. UTG calls an overpair for one bet on this board but probably not two. You save a bet when you're behind and win the same (+$1 actually) when UTG overcalls. If SB's flop cap represents a real hand, then the river doesn't help since any flopped set or 2 pair (other than 63) just filled up. How likely is it that SB went nuts with a pair of sixes or a draw? Maybe he had a straight flush draw, capped the flop for value, semibluffed the turn and bluffed the river. In that case he might not even call your raise. But I think villain has you beat on the river &gt;50%.

How about this line: call flop, if UTG just calls and MP folds and turn is not AKQ, raise turn. If reraised, call and fold river unimproved. I guess it depends on whether UTG fold high cards on the flop to a raise, and how often SB donks the flop and turn with less than fives.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 AM

I'm a little surprised people think the river is close. "SB is a lagtard" and stacking off. I'm not sure I could fold an overpair if I were utg cause it looks like a textbook squeeze opportunity.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 AM

Standard on all streets IMO.

Preflop and flop are close though.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 AM

preflop is probabily a fold but marginal

Flop is easy raise, plenty of draws/worse hands for SB to be donking.. Protect your hand.. If your behind your equity is fine anyway that you lose barely anything 3-way.

River is close between raise and overcall. I think most people lay down an overpair in UTG's spot to make me want to overcall.. But I cant really estimate excatly.