Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Interesting situation

I don't know which forum this necessarily belongs in, but this is the place where I feel people will give serious and informative answers, so I guess that's why I'm posting it here.

Anyway, despite being up like 115k to start 2007 (brag I guess), a couple weeks ago I just started to get... I dunno.... bored. I couldn't just beat 2/4-5/10 for a large amount of money and be satisfied, so I played higher than I really should have. After losing 40k two weeks ago, I decided I needed to stop (obviously). The weird thing is, I had no desire to go play my regular games anymore. I took a week off. Didn't help. So yesterday, I cashed out the remaining 78k I had on stars and full tilt, except for ~$500. I decided I'm going to go back to where I started less than 2 years ago and play nl 50 and work my way back and see how quickly I progress back to 5/10. I'm not sure what sort of positive effect this will have on my game, but for some reason I decided that I needed to do it. If I get tired of playing for play money and want to move back up, I guess I'll just put money back on. But this seems like it actually could be a lot of fun.

So there's my deal, I don't know how many of you care, but if any part of it seems interesting or you want to give me some decent ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Interesting situation

Seems like a waste of time, and insanely boring to boot. Why don't you go do something interesting with all your monies? If you can't think of anything, I'm sure the forum can help.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM

TONS of players move up, at a normal speed, and get to a level where they're either only a small winner, or a loser, lose their ass at that level, but then don't have the discipline to move back down to a game in which they are a winner.

Good for you, putting your ego aside, and stepping back down, but I wouldn't drop THAT far down.

Why not just leave a few grand online and play .5/1 or 1/2?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM

I think one sentence of my post might have been misleading... it wasn't that I couldn't beat 2/4-5/10... I still can beat those solidly.... it's that I couldn't make myself play them for some reason. The reason I move allll the way down to nl 50 is just to really start from nothing again, like I did when poker was actually fun to me.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Learn a new game if you're tired of hold'em. You probably just need to be challenged, so study something new.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM

I really think you should try PLO
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 PM

hehe... PLO may actually be my best game, but only because everyone else is just awful at it. I just dunno if I could deal with the variance as a full time game, seeing as I am semi-tilt prone (though not as bad as I used to be).
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learn a new game if you're tired of hold'em. You probably just need to be challenged, so study something new.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get too bored I play some other games, it brings the fun back and thwn u get back to NL that will be fun too.

Go to Vegas for 2 weeks and play some live games, will mix things up too.