Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Default This can\'t be true can it?! 1051lb Hog killed (Freak of nature thread)

Taken from here

They just mentioned it on PTI (ESPN). How the hell could something this big exist?!?!

[ QUOTE ]
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Hogzilla is being made into a horror movie. But the sequel may be even bigger: Meet Monster Pig. An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet in length. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.

Regardless of the comparison, Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig, which has a Web site put up by his father—http://www.monsterpig.com —that is generating Internet buzz.

"It feels really good," Jamison, of Pickensville, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation of doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison, who just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy, a small, private school.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5- inch tusks decided to charge.

With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, which was recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Kinder, who didn't witness the weigh-in, said he was baffled to hear the reported weight of 1,051 pounds because his scale—an old, manual style with sliding weights—only measures to the nearest 10.

"I didn't quite understand that," he said.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark, and he thought it meant a weight of 1,051 pounds.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

The hog's head is now being mounted on an extra-large foam form by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.

"It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen."

Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

Jamison is enjoying the newfound celebrity generated by the hog hunt, but he said he prefers hunting pheasants to monster pigs.

"They are a little less dangerous."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: This can\'t be true can it?! 1051lb Hog killed (Freak of nature thr

Other "Freaks of Nature" can be posted here, could end up being a cool thread. I am blown away by that picture though, I just really can't see it being true.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Why do people find this so hard to believe?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It a 9+ ft Hog, its just ridiculous.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because its an animal the size of a car running around in the United States and we haven't seen a hundred of them.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM

I like how that kid is holding a little gun that looks like it shoots pellets. Maybe the gun (and the kid are huge in reality, just the pig makes them look tiny)

I don't know much about bullets, or calibers, but from googling, I found this:

The bullet on the very right is 50 calibers (designed to penetrate the bullet-proof windows of airplanes)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Caliber has to do with the diameter of the bullet, not the length.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default Re: This can\'t be true can it?! 1051lb Hog killed (Freak of nature thread)

I'd like to chase that kid for 3 hours through some hilly woods and then finish him off with a point blank shot.

Poor pig.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: This can\'t be true can it?! 1051lb Hog killed (Freak of nature thread)

That hog is insane. The kid is ignorant. Can't blame him too much for killing the thing; I'm sure his family has raised him to think it's cool.

At least they're going to make eleventy billion tons of sausage out of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 PM

It says he was hunting deer originally. So they just go out in the woods and kill whatever they can find?