Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Installing a game (or other software) on a work computer (issues)

BACKGROUND: Last week, I started teaching in a private middle school; it is the first 9-5 job I've had in my entire life. While I find it very rewarding and actually look forward to going to work each day, there is a TON of down time (at least 3 hours) in which I have nothing to do, even after planning lessons and checking work. Although I'm sure this will change, at the time being it is becoming pretty much unbearable and I am looking for a way to change it.

SITUATION: In each of our rooms (the room is basically mine; the prinicpal teaches 2 classes in there a day but she is usually in and out becuase she is so busy) we have nice new PCs. I have no idea what the specs are but I'm sure they are pretty decent. These computers are basically all free space and are only used by the school to access the internet and education resources. So far I have entertained myself by surfing the web, but 1) this gets boring for me quickly and 2) sites like this are blacklisted, preventing me from accessing a lot of interesting things. The school is very protective of the network but I have not seen any rules anywhere which prohibit teachers from installing non-malicious software onto a computer. At the end of the day, the computer belongs to the school, but I am basically leasing it for a year. We are a small school and we only have one tech guy, who takes his job pretty seriously.
Now, as a new teacher, I certainly would not describe myself as "indispensible", but I would say that I'm about 99% sure that they would not fire me over this (or anything short of molesting a student to be honest, considering the difficulty of finding a replacement and my good reputation). I am also confident that it would not affect my being offered a contract renewal next year, although I could be wrong about that. My questions are:

1. Is installing a game or other software on a school computer a really bad idea? Will I get in more trouble than I am thinking if I get caught?

2. Is it likely that someone will check through my computer at some point to see if I've installed anything?

3. Any other recommendations to alleviate boredom? I currently spend a lot of time on fantasy sports.

I'm hoping that people with real work experience can give me some insight here. I know it's a little stupid but 1) I would really like to not be bored and 2) I have been using a Mac Laptop for the past 3 years and there are a LOT of PC games that I have missed and would like to try. I will never play during class, just during empty hours when I have nothing better to do.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Installing a game (or other software) on a work computer (issues)

just speak with your supervisor and tell him that during your downtime you would like to play so and so game. As long as it is on your break, and is appropriate content i dont see why they would mind.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just speak with your supervisor and tell him that during your downtime you would like to play so and so game. As long as it is on your break, and is appropriate content i dont see why they would mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh thanks that was what I meant to ask. Should I just ask the tech guy if it's okay? He is serious about his job but a pretty nice guy overall. I'm just always afraid that with this approach I end up having to go to like the head of the school with a stupid question like this, whereas if I don't ask, I can jsut play the "I didn't know it was against the rules!" card. I'm not that comfortable asking the principal or head of school if I can play video games during school time, but I would be willing if it is by far the better approach.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM

ask the tech guy.

Hey, would it be alright? Oh, ok. Thanks, just wanted to check.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM

I would not speak with a supervisor.

supervisor, in the teachers lounge:

did you hear about the new guy...he is soooooo good at his job he wants to play computer games all the time...blah blah
Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not speak with a supervisor.

supervisor, in the teachers lounge:

did you hear about the new guy...he is soooooo good at his job he wants to play computer games all the time...blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, IMO asking the tech guy = "Is this appropriate use of school computer?" whereas asking supervisor = "Hey, do you mind paying me to mess around when I should be working?" Thus, asking the tech guy could become a slippery slope to a higher up.

EDIT: Tech guy definitely seems like the kind of person to have enjoyed his fair share of computer games but I'm not sure. If I got confirmation on this I would be more confident in asking him.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM

Just bring in a Wii and flatscreen.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM

my teachers in school always downloaded all kinda music and stuff on their work computers... i would think installing software would be fine. but, i don't know.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just bring in a Wii and flatscreen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, two things I do own...at least the other teachers could play too.

My thinking right now is to sneak it but openly. What I mean by that is that I won't come in under cover of night to install it, hide the files all over the computer, disavow all knowledge, etc. etc. I could just bring something in, install it during my morning routine, save the files in an overt manner, not try to hide it if someone comes in (although be careful about timing). This way if I'm caught, it doesn't look like I knew I was up to something, and it saves me from having to ask anyone about it, which I usually like best anyhow (it is easier to do and then apologize then to be denied and then try to get away with it). I'm sure I could also use this time more effectively for planning well ahead but seriously, who does that? I'd much rather be catching up on some of the PC games that I've missed over the last 5 years. I also think that bringing something in and installing it would be a much lesser crime than downloading.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Bring someone in to install a TV and a wii? whaaa?