Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Default wireless routers

I have verizon dsl and had been using a DLink 624 router. Its been pretty good unless i move away from the router... then the connection is limited to dead. So i gave that router away. I got advice from people here and there and reading reviews and got the linksys WRT54G today.

Of course, the connection is terrible. It either goes 56K when it works or it doesn't work at all. Currently i am using someone else connection right now as i am typing in my laptop and this connection is at least 5 times faster than this linksys.

I am going to return this router back to newegg. Can anyone recommend me a router that just works? I have had 2 routers and none of them seeem to even get the job right. A lot of people said linksys was the best one but after using it today when i got it, i am very disappointed..

has anyone here used the Zyxel X-550 Xtrememimo 802.11G Wireless Broadband Router before? I am thinking about exchanging this linksys router and pay a bit extra for this one b/c all i see are good reviews from ppl at amazon.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: wireless routers

If you have tried 2 routers with the same results could it be your wireless card? How's your connection at other people's houses?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM

the WRT54G is a fantastic router; I'm surprised you're having problems like this.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM

Is it by chance a WRT54GS ver.7? I bought one last week and the lag on it is pretty bad. I've read (after I bought it, unfortunately) that the new ver.7's firmware is really unstable and dd-wrt doesn't work on them either.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM

i have version 8. The thing is currently when i use someone elses connection, the speed is excellent. But i cannot rely on using someone elses wireless connection forever b/c they might lock it and i wanted to have a real good connection. I had a d link before but gave that away b/c it didnt have good connection when i moved away from it.

When i use my laptop in an area that is wireless say an office, the connection is perfect so i doubt its anythign to do with my wireless card.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have version 8. The thing is currently when i use someone elses connection, the speed is excellent. But i cannot rely on using someone elses wireless connection forever b/c it is illegal and i wanted to have a real good connection. I had a d link before but gave that away b/c it didnt have good connection when i moved away from it.

When i use my laptop in an area that is wireless say an office, the connection is perfect so i doubt its anythign to do with my wireless card.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 PM

well i didnt know it was illegal. I just viewed all my connections and saw it and just logged on. I am returning my router back and getting a Zyxel 550 Broadband router. Can annyone tell me if that router is good to any of you who have it?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM

its illegal depending on where you live.

the wrts are ok if you install 3rd party firmware
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 AM

Consumer Reports likes the Netgear Rangemax N. I think Netgear also has a Rangemax G version if your wireless card doesn't support N.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: wireless routers *DELETED*

Post deleted by iSTRONG