Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Default More meditations on pot limit Badugi

Although I was crushing this game for a bit, the more I understand it the worse my results have been [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So I think its time to make my results really take a dive by evaluating some of the math endemic to a classic 1/2 pot limit game.

Lets assume the blinds are 50/100. Hero is in the big blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x where x is any bad card of any suit. folds to SB who raises 1/2 the pot ($75), hero calls - the pot now stands at $300.

SB is of course pat. Hero assumes that he has 4 effective outs, the 4,5,6 or 7 of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. From past experience we know the SB will bet all streets 1/2 the pot. We will also assume the SB wont ever break, and will at a minimum call any raises.

There are 93 unseen cards in the remaining 2 draws and 4 cards twice that will improve the heros hand to what we will assume will be the winner (of course its impossible to know this, but for this post we can imply that the hand would be the winner). Therefore (if I did my math right) hero is 10.6:1 against improving his hand to a winner.

Since we know the villain will make a 1/2 pot sized bet after the first draw, the hero will have to call $150 to win $450 - meaning the pot is laying 3:1. From this information can we deduce if there is ever a time to call a 1/2 pot bet while still drawing heads up? From what I can see the answer is no.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]