Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Books on the variance of poker

Are there any books out there that thoroughly discusses the variance in poker? The ones I got only briefly mentions this, usually when talking about bankroll management.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Books on the variance of poker

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any books out there that thoroughly discusses the variance in poker? The ones I got only briefly mentions this, usually when talking about bankroll management.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling Theory & Other Topics, its the definitive book about non-self weighted strategies, risk, and fluctuations within the standard deviation (variance).
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM

I just checked out the table of contents and it looks promising. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM

"The Mathematics of Poker"

Bear in mind the title does not lie. Very heavy on the maths but perhaps thats what you want.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling Theory & Other Topics, its the definitive book about non-self weighted strategies, risk, and fluctuations within the standard deviation (variance).

[/ QUOTE ]
have you read it? worth checking out?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
have you read it? worth checking out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Parts are a bit dated, but its a significant part of gambling history, this book took us out of the dark ages.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Professional Poker by mark Blade has some interesting material dealing with variance and bankroll management. I know this is not exactly what you're looking for but he does go into the topic in great detail. (i.e. not just a blurb but rather several pages)
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Added to this recommendation and the Mathematics of Poker (which has an entire section on Risk), you might also look at the zobags/stoxtrader limit book, "Winning in Tough Hold "em Games". It has a brief but very well written, section on bankroll considerations, variance and related topics. The authors' blunt conclusions are adjusted for tough games and are much more sober/pessimistic that previous material. If you play limit, especially short-handed, online limit, it would behoove you to read their thoughts.

Mason's book is an outstanding reference for live play. Its a book that anyone who plays seriously should read.

I've only read sections of the Chen/Ankenman title but I've already incorporated some of their ideas on flattening risk/variance.