Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 03:39 AM

Default 5NL set of 8s

This has happened to me for the 3rd time in a couple of days. Am I doing something wrong is this just plain bad luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.01/$0.02 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<u>Hero (SB): $4.95</u>
BB: $2.98
UTG: $0.95
<u>CO: $18.41</u>
<font color="black">BTN: $4.43</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.06</font>, BTN calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.05, BB folds
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to Hero

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.20) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $0.06</font>, BTN calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($0.38) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $0.38</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.48</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $4.10</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $4.83</font>, CO calls $0.73

<font color="black">River:</font> ($10.04) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $10.04 ($0.50 Rake)
Results in white

<font color="white"> Hero shows [8c 8s] (a full house, Eights full of Aces)
Villain shows [9s As] (a full house, Aces full of Nines) </font>
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: 5NL set of 8s

Obviously when he reraises on the turn you have to know the A is coming on the river and he's gonna have a better full house. It's not called River Stars for nothing.

Seriously though, what do you think you did wrong on this hand?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:55 AM

Maybe I could have bet on the turn not checked but I dont think that would have changed anything either. I have posted 2 similar hands already where this exact thing happened. I am having a huge downswing(yes, even at 5NL) and things like this aren't helping.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:59 AM

By the way, 2 hands later on another table.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.01/$0.02 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $1.79
<u>Hero (BB): $7.67</u>
UTG: $7.88
<u>BTN: $5.01</u>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG folds, BTN calls $0.02, SB folds, Hero checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.05) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.04</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.12</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $7.65</font>, BTN calls all-in for $4.79
Uncalled bet of $2.66 returned to Hero

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($10.03) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($10.03) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $10.03 ($0.50 Rake)
Results:
<font color="white"> hey_ya00: shows [6c 9c] (a flush, Ace high)
pampero333: shows [8h 8s] (a full house, Eights full of Kings) </font>

Sorry, if I am being a bit whiny but I think I am a decent player or should be at this level but then things like this happen and self doubt starts to creep in.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:01 AM

no way he is getting away from his hand you get busted no matter what you do.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Learning this lesson is much more important than learning when to c/r on the turn (answer is almost never btw) or what flops to cbet on. Tilt is your worst enemy, and can take your whole bankroll very quickly.

You just have to look at where you were in the hand when the money went in, and be happy in you got the money in ahead. Don't believe any of the "waiting until I know I'm going to have the best hand" [censored], if you can get your money in as a favorite then you do it. It's called variance, and you'll have to learn to embrace it to be a successful player.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learning this lesson is much more important than learning when to c/r on the turn (answer is almost never btw) or what flops to cbet on. Tilt is your worst enemy, and can take your whole bankroll very quickly.

You just have to look at where you were in the hand when the money went in, and be happy in you got the money in ahead. Don't believe any of the "waiting until I know I'm going to have the best hand" [censored], if you can get your money in as a favorite then you do it. It's called variance, and you'll have to learn to embrace it to be a successful player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 PM

you played it perfect and got unlucky
Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 PM

You lost in hand 1 as a punishment for checking the flop, definitely. On a serious note, think about how many outs he had in hand 1. How can you _not_ think that it's bad luck?

Bet the flop to help yourself getting all the money in asap.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you played it far from perfect and got unlucky

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]