Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Default AI and male contestants - disadvantaged?

i've been wondering about this idea for awhile. anyone think that male contestants are somewhat hamstrung by the following:

i would say that almost all the really popular young male singers and groups are either hip-hop or hard rock (alternative, grunge?? i don't know what it's called these days)..... whereas they get the males generally singing easy listening songs to a large degree. bo and daughtry were considered edgy even though i'd argue they're much closer to what's popular.

the girls on the other hand sing songs alot closer to what the biggest women stars of the last 10 years sing...

is this crazy idea?? and i do realize that men have done o.k. on the show in the past

thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: AI and male contestants - disadvantaged?

Bottom line is, viewers vote for the contestants that they prefer. It's a popularity contest. It's easy to say the guys are at a disadvantage this year because of the crap they've thrown on stage, but it all comes down to the (somewhat) random sample of contestants that make it to the audition room, Hollywood, and top 24.

The AI sample size is too small to make a generic gender conclusion.

I could see possible theories like "Girls are more hardcore AI fans (as far as voting goes) and girls more often than not like the 'big girl' sound over most guys' sounds, so the voting is skewed towards girls , in general."

When it comes down to winning though once the field is narrowed (maybe the top 12 or so), the better singers or more popular singers will win. I think at that point, there isn't much of a gender bias.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: AI and male contestants - disadvantaged?

i was just thinking the judge's seem to love the "belt it out" diva's more than anything else... the contestants that do it well and the originals.....

not sure what they'd like in the male world, but they didn't like anyone but chris for a long time last year (i think)