Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 PM

Default When to bring in for the full amount???

I really could use some help now. I'm currently heads up in a 7 card tourney. What situations would you bring in for the full bet?

Much Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: When to bring in for the full amount???

I asked this question this afternoon and got zero responses. I am aslo baffled about this.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 PM

I would pretty much never do it in a tourney until the bring-in and blinds get very large to the size of your stack and you think you can steal.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 PM

Regarding your question on the other thread, in cash games I only bring in for the small amount, never the full one.
Reasons - being consistant disguises your hands. You'll get some action usually, and you can reraise them then, or wait till 5th st.

I asked Perry Friedman a while ago on full tilt this question and he says it's for rare tournament situations. Hence, I was in a tourney, albeit a small one and I needed to know what those situations were. Its a bit too late now for this tourney, I won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but I would like to know for future reference.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:41 PM

There are situations in a cash game where you should bring in for the maximum. I often choose to do so with a buried pair if there are not many big upcards. This is because I often have the best hand and if I bring in without completing it will often be a "limp-fest," a horrible situation for something like a buried pair of eights. I'd rather take the antes or play heads up. I might stll do this with a big pair but in this spot my hand is (a little) less vulnerable. If, however, there are a couple big cards who frequently come in and complete the bet, I will just bring it in and either smooth call or raise on third depending on various factors (definitely raise if that's what it takes to ensure heads up action).
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 PM

Guys, he's HU in a tourney?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are situations in a cash game where you should bring in for the maximum. I often choose to do so with a buried pair if there are not many big upcards. This is because I often have the best hand and if I bring in without completing it will often be a "limp-fest," a horrible situation for something like a buried pair of eights. I'd rather take the antes or play heads up. I might stll do this with a big pair but in this spot my hand is (a little) less vulnerable. If, however, there are a couple big cards who frequently come in and complete the bet, I will just bring it in and either smooth call or raise on third depending on various factors (definitely raise if that's what it takes to ensure heads up action).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the limpfest comment. I will bring in full sometimes if i am at a passive table with a big buried pair. I will almost always get a couple callers at a full table...sometimes 4-5, but it at least cuts out a few players to give you a better chance to hold up. If you are lucky someone will raise and you can reraise right there.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 PM

Those rare tournament situations would be when you wish to pot-commit yourself on third street. Obviously, your stack needs to be small in those cases.

Generally, don't complete when bringing in if it means that your hand is stronger than one you would limp in with.