Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Weird Chop & Muck Ruling

Saw this situation, didn't sit well with me.

3/6 game, weekday, 4am, most players very much anticipating a jackpot, if that gives you an idea of type.

It's down to two players on the flop. Last Position says, "chop chop?" First Position says yes and mucks. The corner of the cards hit the pile, at which point the dealer says no chopping, just check to the end, and throws the cards back. Hands are tabled, FP backdoors a straight, LP complains that the hand was mucked. Floor is called, agrees hand was mucked. LP keeps the pot, doesn't offer to chop. (At some point while the dealer was keeping the hand live, it was stated that "chop chop" meant "check it down"; this may or may not be the intent, but it's a possibility as most people don't speak English very clearly (the LP did) and the room has its own language.)

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Weird Chop & Muck Ruling

Might just be that room, but when someone says chop chop, they're either chopping the blinds or the pot. I've never heard it meaning 'check it down'. But it's possible.

LP is kind of an idiot. He agrees to check it down, the guy misconstrues it, but now he wants to shoot an angle. I guess it's only a friendly gesture if you win.

On the other side, FP should split the pot with LP since that is what he agreed with.

Fwiw, I think it's BS to chop a pot like that. Agree to chop blinds? Fine. Chop pots? nope.

b
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fwiw, I think it's BS to chop a pot like that. Agree to chop blinds? Fine. Chop pots? nope.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you care? Is it a collusion trick? Otherwise it would mean more hands per hour - a good thing, no?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you care? Is it a collusion trick? Otherwise it would mean more hands per hour - a good thing, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Collusion comes to mind.

Not many hands per hour when the table busts because 2 guys keep doing this with eachother and the other guys don't feel comfortable playing with them.

b
Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Sounds more like they don't want to miss a chance of catching a jackpot hand.