Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Default What is the best kind of mod?

What criteria do you think makes a good mod? This is mostly in response to people trying to find out replacement BBV mods and a gym mod. Here is what I think.

A mod doesn't need to be the most knowledgable on the forum they are in. He does need to be smart though.

I don't think a mod should have to be the biggest contributor to the forum. I also think choosing the biggest contributor to mod a forum actually hurts the person and the forum. The new mod will have to deal with all the [censored] from the forum instead of focusing on making new good content. There will also be contempt for the new mod since every post he makes will be given more credibility since he is a mod, even if he is wrong on the subject.

Being around. This is another big thing for a mod. The problem is that it is tough to tell somebody who is around a lot if they don't post a lot.

Ok, add to the list.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: What is the best kind of mod?

That's a good post, Nick.

Why not start an edited version in ATF? Ask for input by both mods and plebs. <font color="white"> J/k on my use of the word "plebs", Mat. </font>
Old 02-24-2007, 04:22 PM

I think the most important part is to have someone that'll do the small things that make a forum run efficiently (delete spam and other things the core community finds annoying including trolls). If you can do that, you'll be a passable mod.

If you want to be really good, I think you have to further the purpose of the community as a whole. Each forum on 2+2 has a purpose be it entertainment, political debate, or becoming a better poker player. A good mod uses his influence to create mechanisms for members of the community to achieve their goals. This can come in the form of clear and informative stickies, digests, hand exchanges, forum tourneys ect.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 PM

I think common sense and good judgment are the must important attributes of a good mod. I think important things when deciding a punishment is the intent of the poster and does the 'punishment fit the crime'.

With intent we need to try and figure out what the poster was thinking. Are they blatantly trying to disregard the rules or were they just ignorant about the rules? Ignorance is much easier to correct. Those posters that are blatantly disregarding the rules need to be dealt with more harshly and permabanned if they 'don't get the message'.

Punishment should usually be progressively more extreme. Depending on the offense maybe a warning will suffice the first time. For permabans we should be convinced the poster can not be reformed. We should also consider what value the poster brings to the forums. Valuable posters are usually provided much more leeway and punishments are less extreme than newcomers or less valuable posters.

JMHO

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Mike, maybe in a couple days, I didn't want to post there first and have it seem like I was attacking current mods.

Leader. I agree with your first part. I think the second part is right that he should be active in updating stickies, but I don't know about the other stuff. I think the other members of the community should be the ones providing almost all of the content.

Jim, yes I think common sense is a must.

I think of a mod as a referee. I think the worst situation for the players and people watching would be to have the best player ref. Because he wouldn't be able to play, if he did try to play and ref, everybody would suffer. The ref should be almost invisible, never making himself the focus except when absolutely necessary.

Ok more thoughts later.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the other members of the community should be the ones providing almost all of the content.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I think it's a mods job to encourage that kind of thing.

I also think there's a divide in what makes a good mod for different forums. If the purpose of the forum is to entertain, it's very important to get rid of the stuff that's not entertaining, so that people an have fun, not necessarily to create a mechanism to enable them to have fun. If the purpose is learning though, I think creating mechanisms is more important. Ideally they wouldn't be created or run by the mod but rather be suggested, enabled and given legitimacy.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think of a mod as a referee. I think the worst situation for the players and people watching would be to have the best player ref. Because he wouldn't be able to play, if he did try to play and ref, everybody would suffer. The ref should be almost invisible, never making himself the focus except when absolutely necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your analogy is great if you use it to show that mods don't have to be good at the topic their modding. However, I don't think it's true if you're using it to show that mods shouldn't be good at the topic their modding.

If the mod of the Pineapple HiLo Forum says you should 3bet the turn, nobody's going to hold-back criticism just because his name's in green.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the mod of the Pineapple HiLo Forum says you should 3bet the turn, nobody's going to hold-back criticism just because his name's in green.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. As mod in micro, I get people to agree with me even when I'm full of [censored]. Reasoning by appealing ot authority is rampant of these boards.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 AM

A good mod should be able to unite a forum and make it a cohesive community. Essentially everyone's goal should be to get all the posters of a given forum to become such regulars so that they check the forums even when they arent playing. This is obviously easier in non strat forums.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. As mod in micro, I get people to agree with me even when I'm full of [censored]. Reasoning by appealing ot authority is rampant of these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ and I don't have that problem in SSNL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Though Isura is looked upon as god.