Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Default NL10. 2 semi-strong hands, villain plays for stacks

Hey,

now hereīs two hands. In each one, I have a hand that is strong but not very strong, and the villain (same person) wants to play for stacks. How to play them best?

Reads: 1st hand, my third hand at the table. I do not know the villain. 2nd hand, by now he has demonstrated that he is someone who likes to play for stacks with a lot less than the nuts.

Any comments on all streets are very welcome.

One thing that I really asked myself in Hand #1, do I want to call his turn bet. If I do not, it really seems week-tight. But if I do, he can really suck me in with KQ, because I do then only need a ~33% chance to win if he goes all-in on the river, and I do have that chance given the frequent strange plays at NL10. So not folding the turn is really a commitement here.

<font color="purple"> HAND 1 </font>

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $9.90
BB: $6.90
UTG: $6.60
UTG+1: $1.50
MP1: $1.65
MP2: $10.05
CO: $6.35
BTN: $9.05

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.40) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.30</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.30

Turn: ($1) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $3.00</font>, Hero calls $2.20

River: ($7) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets all-in for $6.65</font>, Hero calls all-in for $6.50
Uncalled bet of $0.15 returned to MP2

Pot Size: $20.00 ($0.95 Rake)

<font color="purple"> HAND 2 </font>

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.20
BB: $9.90
UTG: $10.00
UTG+1: $4.00
MP1: $8.40
Hero (MP2): $10.00
CO: $9.25
BTN: $6.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.60</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.75</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">UTG raises all-in to $9.40</font>, Hero calls all-in for $6.65

Turn: ($21.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($21.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $21.25 ($1.05 Rake)
Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: NL10. 2 semi-strong hands, villain plays for stacks

I play them both exactly the same way.

With the exception that I raise the 88 preflop.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM

I think I fold the first and do exactly the same on the second.

On the first hand your really have no reads. Villain merely calls your flop bet, which seems to suggest he is drawing. Now you may have him beaten, but the turn is a push or fold I think. You know it is all going in if you continue so it dosn't really seem to make sense to call and then fold. Your hand doesn't stand any chance of improving (although it's a nice hand), and he's telling you he got there. You may be splitting only, but you don't have enough invested to make it worthwhile to continue imo.

On the second hand the flop is NASTY. However, you still have a good shot at boating up (hopefully he doesn't have a made straight flush!). You also now have a decent read on the guy, so my money is going in.

Oh, and I agree with Mike about raising 88 pf from the hj with only 1 limper.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I fold the first (...) You may be splitting only, but you don't have enough invested to make it worthwhile to continue imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I kinda guess you are right, but I still feel I must think about this some more. You see so many strange plays. But the point is, if I am good then I am good for a split pot only, and that probably is what might make it a fold. Can anyone tell how much % of the time I have to have a split pot (as opposed to loosing to KQ) to make going all-in profitable because of the money already in the pot? Letīs assume I also win the whole pot like 10% of the time.
This is beyond what I can do as far as the maths is concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I agree with Mike about raising 88 pf from the hj with only 1 limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally do so as well. But I also had some kind of "table read", there were some loose players and there was no chance to get the blinds and the limperīs money without a showdown. So I wanted to play small ball and go try catch the set for little investment.
Gettin the money in once I have a set was not a problem given the players at the table, it wasnīt necessary to bild a big pot for that.
To give you an impression, villain shoveed in Hand #2 with J9 WITHOUT clubs...