Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Default TPTK vs ?????????

im having trouble with ak. in situation like

i raise with ak, get a caller, flop is k84 rainbow, i bet pot, he raises big or allin.

in low limit games, players are constantly doing this with kq, kj, k10. one of the most profitable moves against bad players is busting them with their 2nd best kicker.

unfortunately, i also keep running into k8, k4, even 84 (again, bad players)

my question is, in a game with mostly mediocre talent, how do you distinguish between the top pair bad kicker guy and the flopped two pair (or set) guy?

i generally try to stick to gordon's 'never go broke with only a pair' rule, but im afraid im giving up too much profits from the guys who love to put it all in on top pair/whatever kicker.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: TPTK vs ?????????

This just happens, anyone who calls PF raises with K8 and K4 will call off their chips with TPNK, I promise. I responded to this post not because I want to condone your thinly veiled whine, but because I want to point out that rules like "never go broke with only a pair" are really stupid and it frustrates me to no end that people try to make them. There are times you go broke with A high, and times you fold full houses, it just depends on all the factors that make up a hand. You cannot oversimplify NLHE with silly little rules like that.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:33 AM

For the most part in ss mtts, if I raise with AK, AQ and flop tp, it's going in vs an unknown because most ss players are [censored] horrible. I get much more value by betting tptk then being scared and folding or not betting with the best hand. Obviously I don't always go broke with tptk, but most of the time I am.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, i also keep running into k8, k4, even 84 (again, bad players)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just variance, and believe it or not, it is good for them the win a big pot from u when they flop 2-pair with K8. If your read is that the caller is bad, then u shouldn't try to differentiate/determine when they have 2-pair, as opposed to TP/worse kicker. The reason is that they aren't calling your raise with K8 to flop 2-pair. They will stack off when they flop TP, and when u consider the odds that K8 will flop 2-pair are about 47 to 1, your long-term expectation from getting it in on a K-high flop is so EV++++++ vs. this kind of caller.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM

i dont really care why you answered the question
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im having trouble with ak. in situation like

i raise with ak, get a caller, flop is k84 rainbow, i bet pot, he raises big or allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you always bet pot when you flop TPTK then try to mix your bet size up next time. Maybe less and if they come over the top for an all-in then you have a decision. If they raise big you can think about seeing another card or throwing it in the muck on the flop. Betting smaller makes you less committed if you think your behind right?