Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 05:04 AM

Default 2/4 Stud/8 from HORSE

Villains in this hand are very loose in terms of starting requirements and calling down. I'm not entirely sure what their ranges are, but I think they overvalue second-best lows and two pair hands. I feel like I've misplayed somewhere along the line in this hand....

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

Hero: $126.50
Seat 2: $82.80
Seat 3: $101.20
Seat 4: $78.80
Seat 5: $40
Seat 6: $36.15
Seat 7: $105.05
Seat 8: $84.70

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.85 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (2.93 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.93 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises

River - (17.93 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises

Total pot: (23.93 BB - $95.70)
Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Stud/8 from HORSE

Looks like a slight miscalculation of Seat 5s strength on 6th Street. I guess you can't lay it down if you feel he overvalues his hands.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Very strange. Although it's difficult to put someone who limps with a 9 up on a hand, it looks like there's a strong chance he backed into a powerful low. He doesn't seem to care that he's facing at least trips in one spot and a potentially strong low hand in another. Therefore, it seems that he's very strong in at least one direction, and since there are more ways he could have a strong low than (9 9) 9 or trip aces, and since he would usually play rolled up 9's or pocket aces much differently, I think this might be a close fold.

Did he start with something like (2 4) 9 suited?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did he start with something like (2 4) 9 suited?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking as well. It's basically the only hand that makes much sense (maybe 26s which also beats your low). The problem with these lower stakes HORSE games, which I also play in, is that you don't know who plays stud well and who'll go crazy with Jacks up vs. 3 coordinated low boards.

WRT to 6th street, I think you have to put Seat 5 on 24 or possibly AA. Would he call 6th expecting you to raise so that he could 4-bet if he had 'just' trip Aces? Seat 4 sure likes his hand a lot and may already be full so it's probably not him he's trapping. If he wants to knock you out to promote a 7-low I think he'd make you face 2 bets right away. Who knows, he may have just capped it since he felt it would be capped anyways.

Against an unknown, 6th street is really tough. I'd probably let it go because: 1) it looks like they both have made hands--neither of which you can catch up to and 2) it's very likely you'll have to put in 4 more bets on the river. While you can improve to a 6-low, it still may be no good.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 AM

I'd raise third. Apart from that I think you played it right. On sixth, it looks like you have the best low, so a raise is in order. When 935A caps, though, it looks like you may not have the best low. It's uncomfortable to be sure, but especially given your characterization of your opponents, I think you have to pay this one off.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 PM

I did end up paying off the wheel. I wasn't sure about calling the river because there was a chance it would be capped if Seat 4 had filled up.