Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Worst hand i\'ve played in a while, 2 pair in a 3bet pot, need help.

I'll just give an auto disclaimer that I know I played this hand like a donk. Now that that is in the open, how would you have better played it?

Villian seems pretty aggro, had a high attn to steal blinds, probably 35+, I don't remember exactly at this time. I was running standard TAG, although I hadn't been at the table very long (stats on villian were datamined).

I thought about betting the flop, but figured I didn't really get value from any hands if I did, as it seems like QQ and under would fold, and only AJ and under would give me action, and the odds of him having AJ or worse seemed kinda unlikely.

Once I hit the 2 pair on the turn I really felt lost, as i'm now losing to QQ as well as AK, KK and AA.

Any help is appreciated here, as this is a rare type of situation that I don't often find myself in.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $13.90
SB: $187.90
Hero (BB): $70.70
UTG: $43
MP: $52.15
CO: $50.45

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $1.75</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $6.25</font>, CO calls $4.50

Flop: ($12.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($12.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10

River: ($32.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $25</font>
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Worst hand i\'ve played in a while, 2 pair in a 3bet pot, need help

I don't think your play until the turn is that bad, really, as a flop bet folds out anything worse. Once you get to the turn, though, a whole bunch of draws are out there and you definitely need to bet to protect. At least check-raise all in when he pots it.
As played river is tough; it really looks like he's betting for value. You've underrepped your hand so I probably just say "[censored] it, I have two pair in a 3-bet pot" and call. Keep in mind that I'm not sure about that play and it might be a leak, as I can't see what we're beating besides a bluff.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 PM

Definitely bet this flop, Im not sure what flop youre waiting for if youre not betting this one. Assuming you bet the flop, then you can bet the turn. If he raises then you can pretty much comfortably fold as villain wont be doing this with worse very often at all. If he calls, then you can either c/c the river or b/f there depending on what you think. As played I guess the river is a fold but I would have never gotten there this way.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you get to the turn, though, a whole bunch of draws are out there and you definitely need to bet to protect. At least check-raise all in when he pots it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so every draw hits and you think he should crai?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Yea Im not so sure about that crai on the turn either to be honest. Youre praying K9 and A9 call, everything else that calls has you in some bad shape.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so every draw hits and you think he should crai?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no draws on this flop that fit villain's 3-bet calling range unless for some reason you're putting hands like KJs or JTs into it. I think letting a card peel on the flop is best to underrep your hand a bit, you're WA/WB against villain's reasonable range. I'm torn between check/calling or check/raising in the event that he bets, but I think they're both better than c-betting the flop.

Definitely bet turn. I agree that CRAI is bad, but once you've checked turn it's better than folding or calling.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 PM

DONT check the flop ever. I dont even want to hear the reasoning for it, you 3 bet AQ pf, you hit your ace on a drawy board and you check. There is no justification for it. Youre doing levels of thought here that villain is almost definitely not doing, so just play ABC. You hit, you bet, that simple. You dont hit, you probably still c-bet. If you will c-bet with air here, then you better c-bet with tpgk as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 PM

And your response to a shove?

Edit: a shove on the flop that is, after cbetting.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 PM

If he seems overaggro then I call, if he seems aggro but not an idiot I could probably find a fold. If he shoves what are you looking at that does this with worse? I guess AJ, the rare flush draw, or air. More than likely, its top two or a set though. I dont check because I am afraid he will shove on me when I bet. I bet if I think there is value in it and/or I am protecting. Both of which betting accomplishes on this flop.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 AM

What does he call with that you beat on this flop?

In my experiences, QQ and JJ are going to lay down here too often to make betting this flop profitable. Just an A high flop, that's fine, but AK high and people generally don't put in another dime with essentially an underpair to the board.