Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 AM

Default 1/3 Caesars, SB with KQd facing raise from lagtard

So this really fat, acne ridden, annoying ugly guy comes to our table, won't stop talking, making horrific attempts at table coaching with laughable advice, telling his story about how he busted out of some tourney with top pair OVER AND OVER... Then he starts raising with junk like 25o and showing every few hands. Obv I figure he's just trying to set up his action, but he's still an unpredictable lagtard at his core.

So I pick up KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB sitting on $250, ugly pimpleface opens for $15 in LP with $300 behind, I call and so does BB (I usually fold KQ to any raise, but like I said he was raising junk a lot... also I hated him and wanted to bust him). Flop comes JJQ, I check intending to raise him, he makes it $10, I make it $25, he calls. I sense he's going to raise me on the turn no matter what comes. Turn blank, I lead for $30 (bad bet I spose I got scurred), as predicted he makes it $75, I instashove.

How's that seem?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Re: 1/3 Caesars, SB with KQd facing raise from lagtard

i doubt hes calling ur shove with worse. why not flatcall and let him hang himself on the river if were sure were ahead?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 AM

the whole thing seems fairly bad TBH.

why raise the flop? by making this play you're putting your holding at the theoretical bottom of your range which is bad unless you're bluffing. you also don't need much protection on this board.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 AM

raise it like a man on the flop, like 50. as played, calling the turn raise and letting him bet the river is better than 3-bet shoving the turn. we don't wanna give him the chance to fold and there aren't too many river cards we're gonna be scared of.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

why raise the flop? by making this play you're putting your holding at the theoretical bottom of your range which is bad unless you're bluffing. you also don't need much protection on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely don't dispute that this hand is bad, but you really think I shouldn't have raised the flop? I never even considered that option. I mean if A, 8, 9, T, or even K hits the turn I'm definitely going to regret not raising. I usually don't feel safe with a pair on a flops with 9T, TJ and JQ, but I'm sure you know more than me about this infernal game so I'll think that over...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 AM

i was just sort of saying that hypothetically. when he bets 10 into a 45 raising is most likely best (but what do I know). maybe leading the flop. given your reads and everything, i would have played it the same most of the time (but raising a little more on the flop), but definitely calling his raise instead of pushing over it.

after all, if he's bluffing, he's not going to CALL an all-in, but he'll sure as hell BET an all-in (at least sometimes).

however

it should be noted that for all of the scare cards you mentioned (except maybe the ace) your hand is still well in front of his range for continuing. so yeah sure if a 9 hits there's a small chance he had T8 or KT or whatever, but most of the time, the 9 is a blank (maybe 95% of the time).

therefore, you dont really need to protect your hand as much, had he priced himself out by betting at least 1/2 to 2/3 pot on the flop
Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand you seem to be bluffing when you want to be trapping.