Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Default 60/30/4 on your left??

What do you guys do when there's a 60/30 on immediate left? Is this even a good table to be at if all other players are regs?

I'm really having trouble playing those guys. I don't know what they are thinking so I end up playing super strait foward versus them. I'll often tighen up and CB a very small amount of the time if I'm not on the button vs him.

My problem is I often don't know *how* retarded they are. Like I don't know if he's gonna float my 2nd barrel with nothing or if he's gonna call my turn ch/raise with middle pair. They play so awkwardly and something so emotionnally that it's hard to know if they are in thier calling station mood or decent player mood.

I'm pretty sure it's really +EV to play strait foward against them, espacially in position, but if anything I often end up leaving the table and try to get position on him cause it's to frustrating to play against.

Every player is different so what are the 1st things you guys look for in a player like this tendencies to exploit?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 60/30/4 on your left??

Just tighten up and watch him against the others. With him playing that many hands it shouldn't take long to see how he reacts to various things.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 PM

That`s not a n1, you`re right, but you are still 2 times IP against him and this is the time you should loosen up.

I think TPTK on a not very dangerous flop is worth getting lotta money in.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:19 PM

I would keep betting hard for value with second pair good kicker plus, and check call a lot with everything worse that has showdown value since their awful hand range means they'll be bluffing a ton. no objection to check folding if i totally miss against these guys.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM

60/30 means half the time he plays a hand he raises, half the time he calls, but it's not the full story

how many of his calls are open-limps and how many are coldcalls?

how many of his raises are open-raises and how many are reraises?

the 40% that he folds... is that generally if there is a raise in front of him? (ie, does he tighten his range with a raise in front of him?)

if he is reraising a lot then tighten up a bit since hands that are normally marginally profitable are now going to be -EV for you since you steal the blinds less often and get to see the flop less often (and still won't flop a good hand too often either). With your stronger hands you will have to adjust for his wider range and be willing to go further with marginal hands

if he's just calling a lot preflop when you raise then there's not as much of a need to tighten up, but just be cognizant of how wide his hand range is and realize that he's often not going to flop a good hand against you.

I've played against some very thinking LAGs (possibly higher stakes players moving down and goofing around) so you need to take a look and see if they are adjusting for position, and if they seem to be reading hands well... or if it's just an idiot.

your starting hands are much better than theirs overall so in order to win against you they either need to steal a lot of pots, or make the pots that they win a lot bigger than the ones that they lose. It's tough to keep those two goals entirely balanced, because in order to steal a lot of pots, they end up losing some big pots when their bluffs get called... or if they want to use their image to get paid off in big pots, then it means that they won't be running many big bluffs. Try to figure out what their plan seems to be... no matter what they do, they are exploitable. Look at their goals and do what it takes to prevent them from accomplishing them.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 PM

i'm just guessing that most of his opens are probably min raises and if someone opens in front of him he probably just calls. at least those are the tendencies of most 60/30+ type players but obv not all.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:34 PM

get the arm ready for a fistpump
Old 07-25-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just guessing that most of his opens are probably min raises and if someone opens in front of him he probably just calls. at least those are the tendencies of most 60/30+ type players but obv not all.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's the stuff I'm trying to get at
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your starting hands are much better than theirs overall so in order to win against you they either need to steal a lot of pots, or make the pots that they win a lot bigger than the ones that they lose. It's tough to keep those two goals entirely balanced, because in order to steal a lot of pots, they end up losing some big pots when their bluffs get called... or if they want to use their image to get paid off in big pots, then it means that they won't be running many big bluffs. Try to figure out what their plan seems to be... no matter what they do, they are exploitable. Look at their goals and do what it takes to prevent them from accomplishing them.

[/ QUOTE ]Very insightful post, I especially like the last part. Never really thought about it that way. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 PM

While these players are often very frustrating to go to war with while OOP, especially when running cold, it's a very +ev situation overall, and usually you can eventually stack them by just playing solid, fundamentally sound poker. However, if they are never folding to Cbets or are obvious bluff monkeys I will often go into check/call mode, where if they are stationy, just value bet them super thin on every street. Soah and LucidDream basically hit this one on the head with their replies so I won't bother adding any more.