Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:22 AM

Default ID\'ing traffic to my site from dif banner ads

I have created 2 banner ads that will share time in a single ad slot, and want to know if there is a way for me to tell which one of them is generating more clicks. I've bought banner ad space on an external website, and told them that I want each of my 2 banners to get 50% of the exposure...and I want to know what the best way might be to tell which one of them is attracting more clicks. Is there some way to do this?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: ID\'ing traffic to my site from dif banner ads

Ok, I'm probably not the best one to answer this because I'm not a programmer nor a website guru, However I down own/operate 3 websites that I built, so I know just enough to be dangerous. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My first question would be, where to the banner ads take the customers? Are they being redirected to your site or to a 3rd party site? If they are coming to your site, then your web stat logs would be able to easily show you which link the customer entered your site from. If the customer is being directed to a 3rd party site, I don't know of any easy way for you to get this info. However, the person who is actually hosting the banner ads would easily be able to tell which ad is being clicked more but they might not be willing to go to the trouble to look and tell you.

I know this probably doesn't help alot but maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in here.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:23 AM

thanks, the banners are sharing my ad slot on the same 3rd party site, and link right to my site, but actually i got the advice that i could just have them link to:

www.mysite.com/index?banner1

and

www.mysite.com/index?banner2

and then it would show up in my web log as different entry points, even though they'd both be taken to my site's main page....sound correct?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Correct.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Exactly! That would work perfectly. Then it should be very easy to see which link is getting the best results.

Good luck.

-Jason