Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 12:29 AM

Default I require distractions when I\'m playing

I find that I play FAR better when I have something going on besides poker. Typically it's either TV or a DVD, but sometimes it's surfing the internet or doing the sunday times crossword.

Wondering if anyone else out there is like me. I usually play 4 tables of 50 or 100 NL on paradise, and more often than not, crush the games. My style is very tight, so with all the folding i do, my brain gets a lttle restless.

The main reason for the 'extracurricular activity' is that I tend to get more tilty if all i have in front of me are poker tables. A bad hand, followed by a stretch of card-deadness, and i find myself more itching to play in a pot (when I probably shouldn't), and therefore not at my best.

I find that the psychological positives outweigh the inherent negatives (not paying attention to the other guys at the tables, etc).

thoughts?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 AM

Default Re: I require distractions when I\'m playing

You could experiment with playing six tables. Perhaps, the extra two tables would occupy your mind and fill the gaps. It would definitely allow you to play more hands.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:37 AM

I have problems like this too. I've 8 tabled (4 on each monitor) and find myself switching to 2+2 in the less than 3 seconds for something to happen on one of my EIGHT TABLES.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 AM

play 6max, and play more tables.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:23 PM

I 8 table 6-max.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 8 table 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

play some of mine then.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 PM

im new to this site and your topic caught my eye..i figure ill throw in my two cents since this is a problem that i have encountered constantly throughout my career with online poker... i mean there was a point where id be watching television, checking fantasy baseball, playing online scrabble, chess, and semi high turbo nl sngs all at the same time...but i have battled my borderline ADD as i began taking poker more seriously...you have to realize one thing...poker is a game of concentration and living in the moment...the most successful players are those that can focus almost to the point of tunnel vision (i like to call it "connecting to the matrix" lol)...if you are serious about becoming a winning poker player, you just have to tell yourself that, although extremely boring at times, staring at that monitor and watching every single bet being made will exponentially increase your wins...this is why i whole-heartedly disagree with multi-tabling, but that is a subject for another post...just remember, focus is the key and it is not something that comes naturally...it takes time and practice to really train your mind to concentrate...try listening to music while playing, i find that helps...so if you are simply a recreational player in search of a good time, knock yourself out...but if you r serious about the game, then the more you focus, the more money you will win...gl at the tables
Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 AM

I don't require that and I'd probably play better just concentrating on poker, but unless I'm 10 tabling, I need those distractions to get through long 8 hour days of poker....just gets too boring otherwise.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:44 PM

i do this too. i 4 table now because i only have my laptop these days, and usually surf the internet in between actions. i very rarely develop reads on the other players...i know it's not good but otherwise i get too bored.

ie. right now i'm 'playing' poker