Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Can You Like AQo Here?

I was faced with this holding AQo, I assume I was up against a set.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($2.90)
BB ($3.20)
UTG ($18.20)
UTG+1 ($8.35)
Hero ($8.25)
MP2 ($10)
CO ($18.60)
Button ($9.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2.6</font>, Hero calls $1.90.

Turn: ($5.95) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $14.4</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $5.95
Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Can You Like AQo Here?

I'm somewhat of a beginner myself. That being said, I wouldn't like my AQo in this situation. I think there are better spots to get all your money in. The flush and straight potential on the board creates a lot of motivation for him to bet so aggressively with a strong hand like two pair or a set although I don't see how it could ever be correct on the villian's part to overbet the pot by that much. His bet is probably motivated by the fear of being drawn out on.

Pokertracker stats would be very helpful on the villian as well or any history on what you have seen him play.

I think it was a good laydown.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM

AK is more likely than a set IMO. You have an ace which reduces the likelihood of AA. Additionally, CO would have to be a pretty light re-raiser (for micro-stakes) anyway to be raising your MP bet with TT.

Against a typical opponent 3-betting u for the first time (or infrequently) you can muck AQo.

If you put over 25% of your stack in with it, you should be looking to play for stacks if you hit top pair. If you cannot commit to doing this pre-flop because you are weary of how the hands he 3-bets stack up against AQo then fold. If you are up against a light 3-bettor it probably makes sense to 4-bet (or 4-bet shove) especially because you don't have position.

Lucky
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys.

Is a 3-bet reraise pretty standard? What exactly does it indicate, if anything? Is it used to raise without giving too much info away about what one holds?

Villain's bet on the turn didn't make much sense to me -- if he had a monster, why not try to play it a little slower. It sounds like, as the other guy said, that he didn't want to be outdrawn. Maybe he thought I was pot committed? Mathematically, was I?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM

"3-bet" means a reraise (get it, 1)bet, 2)raise, 3)reraise), but there never was one in this hand. IF villain had 3-bet pre, it would have told you a lot more about what he had...

With all the big raises after the flop, just let this guy have it. Your tp2k may be good, but readless, calling these overbets is too expensive. Watch this guy carefully and try to figure out what he's doing.

Agree that a scared top pair hand is most likely. If he does this habitually, it's very exploitable.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Stats on villain?

Unless this guy is very solid, I probably take the same flop line and just shove a safe turn. He's got a worse ace or a draw here enough of the time I think.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM

shove on flop
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM

If I was CO I would be more likely to raise pre flop with AK, but call with TT and 44. And possibly even A,T. Over all it looks like he's trying to protect a hand against the flush draw and / or thinks you have an Ace, which he can definitely beat, but that you won't fold.

It's a gross overbet though and if he does this regulary just wait and trap him. You can find a better spot, much better.