Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 PM

Default 20/40 live, JJ UTG

Just moved to this table, standard table, nothing special. I have no image. BB has a lot of chips in front of him (maybe 4 racks), middle-aged Asian guy leaning back in his chair. Doesn't look too LAG or anything special.

I'm dealt JJ UTG. Open-raise, folded around to BB who thinks for a somewhat long time (5 sec.?) before deciding to call. I think he has fairly horrible cards, in this game most people call almost any 2 cards in BB to a raise.

Flop is Q-3-2 rainbow. BB leads out. I call, planning to raise pretty much any turn card. I put him on about 25% a Queen, 50% some weak pair (2, 3, maybe 44/55), and about 25% total air.

What do you think of my play? Raise flop because the turn card (AK) may hurt my action? Raise turn to draw in more money or possibly get a weak Q to fold?

Raising the turn allows me to showdown for free and almost guarantees another BB from him. Maybe 75% of the time I have him beat on the flop.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: 20/40 live, JJ UTG

I dont think you are laying down your premium pair against only one opponent, and I will raise on the flop to represent a better hand and get in the driver's seat.. if he comes over the top you have a better idea what you are up against and you can try to catch a 2 outer for the price of one extra small bet
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 PM

Actually, as strange as it sounds, I don't really want to be in the driver seat pushing the action. I'm fairly sure I have him beat on the flop (hence my 75%) and want to extract maximum value out of this hand and want him to continue to lead on the turn. I was just debating whether it was worth it to risk a scare card on the turn. With a lesser hand (TT, 99, 88) I would have been more aggressive on the flop because so many cards hurt me plus to get a cheap showdown.

In the hand, the turn card was a K, BB bet, I raised, and he thought for a while and folded. So who knows whether he had me beat or I had him beat on the flop, but the goal was to take the line of play that maximized either direction (gain if ahead, minimized loss if behind + max possiblity of getting a Q to fold).

Does this make sense, or is my thinking overly convoluted?

RayT
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM

I like how you played it.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:25 PM

what about call call call? i also think that there is no way that a Q is folding to a turn raise or ever in this hand (minus an A rolling off)...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I will raise on the flop to represent a better hand and get in the driver's seat.. if he comes over the top you have a better idea what you are up against and you can try to catch a 2 outer for the price of one extra small bet

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this even mean?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:00 AM

i would just call-call-call and let him hang himself. raising the turn will never get him to fold a queen, and he may or may not fold a weak pair, and will probably fold air. if you assign the probabilities of these with the weighted range you gave, your EV will be slightly higher by just calling.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 AM

Well, I actually would want him to fold at some point in this hand if possible. I'd rather have a 100% sure thing at the pot, then give him his 5-outer shot to scoop it (assuming he has a pair).

So I think a raise is in order at some point. JJ is good, but a lot of cards can still potentially hurt me. If the board was paired (decreasing liklihood of my 2 pair getting outdrawn) or I had a bigger overpair or something, then I might "slowplay it" a little more.

The weaker my pocket pair, the stronger I tend to play it on the flop heads-up because more cards can hurt you. JJ is sort of a borderline hand (not big, not small) in this scenario, and the Q on the flop kind of throws an extra dimension to it.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I actually would want him to fold at some point in this hand if possible. I'd rather have a 100% sure thing at the pot, then give him his 5-outer shot to scoop it (assuming he has a pair).

So I think a raise is in order at some point. JJ is good, but a lot of cards can still potentially hurt me. If the board was paired (decreasing liklihood of my 2 pair getting outdrawn) or I had a bigger overpair or something, then I might "slowplay it" a little more.

The weaker my pocket pair, the stronger I tend to play it on the flop heads-up because more cards can hurt you. JJ is sort of a borderline hand (not big, not small) in this scenario, and the Q on the flop kind of throws an extra dimension to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to listen to what Chris is saying. Lets say you raise the turn and he has a 5 outer. Given the choice, would you rather him call or fold?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to listen to what Chris is saying. Lets say you raise the turn and he has a 5 outer. Given the choice, would you rather him call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is an interesting question I thought I knew the answer to, but maybe isn't so straightforward.

Assuming villian will bet any river and I call any river, I am giving him a 5/45 (2 Js in the deck do not beat me) chance to beat me. On the turn there are 5.25 BB in the pot if I just call.

If I lose one more BB on the river to his 5-outer, I risk 6.25 BB 1/9 times. Which is about -0.7 BB on average.

If I just call, I win 1 more BB 8/9 of the time. Which is about +0.88 BB on average.

So I guess you're right, it's slightly better EV overall to just call and give him his shot at his 5-outer. I had always assumed 100% of size pot is infinitely better than giving an opponent a small % shot at beating you.

If you factor in that he may fold a Q on the turn to a scare card and that a river scare card like an A will force me to check-check, the difference in gain/loss may make this no longer straightforward. I basically have reverse implied-odds on the turn.

Interesting.