Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 AM

Default a set of jacks into the muck

this hand happened yesterday at foxwoods.playing 2-4. please evaluate and let me know where i went wrong. UTG+1 was a solid player.not in a lot of hands, but played very aggro in the ones he was.he made a LOT free card plays during this session.button was a new guy , only on the table about 1/2 hour. seemed aggressive. 9 players at table UTG+1 open raise, UTG+2 calls,4 folds to hero in cutoff with two black jacks who calls,BUTTON calls, SB folds, BB calls.5 people to the flop,8 1/2 SB FLOP: 10c-Jd-2d... UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 folds,HERO calls, BUTTON calls, BB calls......4 people to the turn 12 1/2BB TURN:9s UTG+1bets, HERO raises,BUTTON calls, BB folds,UTG+1 CALLS..3 plyers to the river 12 bb RIVER:8c UTG+1bets,HERO calls[ with tears] BUTTON raises,UTG+1 reraises, HERO folds
Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: a set of jacks into the muck

for the love of god man 3bet pf. also, that is as drawy a board as you can find on the flop. you need to start the action there by raising, raising and raising. as played the river fold is fine, but i hate the pf and flop play.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 AM

my logic for not raising preflop was the open raise from a solid player UTG,i knew he wasnt raising here without at least 2 over cards to my jacks, and a good chance i was playing against a lrger pp. if the flop was favorable, i can use my position .afterwards, i realized i should have raised the flop, but i dont even know if that would have gotten big slick to fold,[the most likely holding for UTG+1 at this point], so i figured to wait till the turn.if a queen comes, call with my full house outs, raise any otherturn card. how bad is this logic?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 AM

HELP!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:48 AM

given a open raise from a solid player utg and 2 cold calls,how much pre-flop equity do i have with jacks? i realize my +ev was huge on the flop and not raising there was a huge blunder, but was my pre-flop call really that bad?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 AM

raise preflop, raise flop
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

fuzz you need to raise and cap the flop and turn, in my opinion for that 2/4 foxwoods game. people are going to chase/draw no matter how many bets it is to them, and you need to build a huge pot for the times when they don't suck out. the preflop call, meh, i'd probably raise it again anyway. you are giving these guys way too much credit.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

This is a likely scenario:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 37.6113 % 35.61% 02.01% { 99+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+ }
Hand 2: 22.1264 % 20.58% 01.55% { TT-99, AQs-AJs, KQs, AQo }
Hand 3: 40.2624 % 39.62% 00.64% { JcJd }
Old 11-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Your fold on the river is not a problem, the board just got too ugly to stay in for all those bets. However, you need to reraise PF regardless of tight player raising UTG+1 and you need to get a lot of bets in on that flop and turn. Even if you lose sometimes, your equity is more than you need and you need to build a pot for the (many) times you win it. Jacks play well against a few players are a bunch of players, not so much against a medium group (okay in Foxwoods they play well no matter what) so even if you get only 3-handed you will have built a pot and can figure out where you stand.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 PM

Raise PF since you are likely to have the best hand and want to get money in with the best hand.

Raise the flop right away since you are likely to get action on your hand, they won't take you for a set, and the board is coordinated for overcards like KQ/AQ/AK which will call along (including top pair and middle pair).

Haupt_234