Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Default \"The Secret\" movie

My one friend showed me this thing. I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

To catch up anyone else to speed, the concept is that if you wish for good things, good things will happen. Sort of like Karma on steroids.

Although it is taking America "by storm," I have found that it is really just more of the same old Don Lapree bunk.

One of the things that is part of "The Secret" excersise is to write out goals, so that they can just come toward you.

One of my goals was that I would like to get out of debt, including, credit, IRS, and unpaid tickets. Well, the unpaid tickets was taken care of, as I just spend a week in LA County Jail. I guess we all must be careful what we wish for.

Is anybody using this? Has there been any success stories?

ETC.

daveT
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: \"The Secret\" movie

Never heard of this but I'll tell you what. One of the things I always wish for is to laugh a lot and this [ QUOTE ]
Well, the unpaid tickets was taken care of, as I just spend a week in LA County Jail.

[/ QUOTE ] made me laugh a lot. ty
Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Did you really just spend a week in jail? Trip report?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you really just spend a week in jail? Trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard OOT fare, he banged all the hot female gaurds and got lots of anal.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My one friend showed me this thing. I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

To catch up anyone else to speed, the concept is that if you wish for good things, good things will happen. Sort of like Karma on steroids.

Although it is taking America "by storm," I have found that it is really just more of the same old Don Lapree bunk.

One of the things that is part of "The Secret" excersise is to write out goals, so that they can just come toward you.

One of my goals was that I would like to get out of debt, including, credit, IRS, and unpaid tickets. Well, the unpaid tickets was taken care of, as I just spend a week in LA County Jail. I guess we all must be careful what we wish for.

Is anybody using this? Has there been any success stories?

ETC.

daveT

[/ QUOTE ]

how much u owe IRS? I just found out from BofA that they put a $2400 tax levy on my account [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I wish the IRS had bothered to mention this to me seeing as I would of made payments instead of getting [censored] over by BofA with proccessing fees and subsequent overdraw fees.

Also the chick that came up with this secret [censored] said the the holocaust/darfur etc victims have only themselves to blame because they brought it on themselves
Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM

the secret is an absolute waste of space. there are no magical fairies that grant your wishes when you ask the universe. the video doesn't really say anything. it's all just mindless rhetoric.

some friends of a friend recently got scammed out of 10k, because they were mindless idiots. it was so obvious they were being duped, but when people cautioned them they insisted that the universe would guide and provide, just like the secret had told them it would.

there is power in envisioning your successes, but that power comes from within. when you make a conscious effort to visualize meeting your goals you manipulate your mind into action. you create your own destiny: positive thinking helps you get there, because it enables you to make more effort. it's hardly ethereal or a secret. the video doesn't even recognize this legitimate aspect of things and bypasses all logic and what should be common sense.

for laughs, check out the onion's infographic on the matter.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Nice post, rothko. I have a friend at work who was telling me about this video. She is totally sold on the concept of visualizing her success and wealth. I had no idea what she was talking about. I thought she was losing her mind.

[ QUOTE ]

for laughs, check out the onion's infographic on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, these two made me laugh -

"You deserve whatever you want no matter how awful you are"

"Please allow universe six to eight millennia to deliver"
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 AM

The Secret has already been on Oprah... its no longer a Secret... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM

The secret is there's a sucker born every minute willing to slide over $34.95 to the person who's discovered the secret.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 AM

I have seen this movie several times, and enjoyed it quite a bit, though for very different reasons than the other people I know who have seen it. Basically, I liked two things about this film: one, the production quality (I'm probably not using this term in the same sense that Dominic or an actual producer would, but then I don't know what it technically means); and two, the specific, practical suggestions.

One of the first things that struck me while watching The Secret was the aural-optical harmony of each speaker. Everybody's dress, facial expressions and hand gestures seemed to just gel with their personalities and voices.

And lastly, I have started using a gratitude rock--I think of mine as a "poetry stone"--and keeping a gratitude journal. Whenever I touch my poetry stone, instead of thinking of something for which I am grateful, I recite a poem to myself. Then, when I sit down to write, I recite a specific poem--my muse poem (I believe I posted it in the memory recitation thread)--and rest the stone on top of my notebook.

Scott

PS I use the poetry stone while writing poetry in my notebook, not while writing in my gratitude journal--not sure if that was clear before.