Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Getting Health Insurance

So my mom's been on my case for a while now about getting health insurance because if something goes wrong a brief hospital stay could apparently run me 5 figures. I just graduated from college and am going to be playing poker for a living, so I can't get insurance through an employer.

Basically, I don't have the first clue about insurance: I don't know what the different types of plans are nor what reasonable price ranges are nor where to go to get a plan if I did know what I wanted.

Anybody been in this spot? What do I need to know and what do I need to do? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-02-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Getting Health Insurance

assurant/ fortis. i researched lots on the subject

and unfortunately used it to the tune of 30 grand last year (back surgery). On the other hand for the 130/mo, i was quite happy i had it
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Insurance is always -EV. If you are in immediate danger, they have to take you anyway. Then just dont give them your name or fake amnesia or a coma or something. Then when you feel alright, get up and run for it. THAT's how you STICK IT TO THE MAN. But seriously, it's -EV, you'd have to be an idiot to buy health insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, people that think they are smart. you know everything is not about immediate EV right?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Try this site: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/
Good variety of providers/plans.

I just applied for a plan that costs about $50/month. Start looking now though, because apparently it can take up to 60 days for the providers to assess your application and medical history. However, the site did say that most applicants are notified within 2 to 4 weeks.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Insurance is always -EV. If you are in immediate danger, they have to take you anyway. Then just dont give them your name or fake amnesia or a coma or something. Then when you feel alright, get up and run for it. THAT's how you STICK IT TO THE MAN. But seriously, it's -EV, you'd have to be an idiot to buy health insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm??? Is this because the insurance industry takes a cut and then of the remaining pool it distributes the money more towards people with frequent health problems than young relatively healthy people like me? Say it ain't so! I'm risk-averse here.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do, dont listen to this guy. At a minimum get a high deductible policy. Not only will it protect you if you get busto'ed bad, it will also give you access to the insurance provider's negotiated rates for services, which can be a huge savings. If you dont know, most doctors mark up the cost of their services, and if you have a provider, the rates for those services are much lower.

eHealthinsurance is a good site and has a variety of good plans to choose from. You can also find an insurance broker that should be happy to help you with your options as well. If you dont have a broker, go to your state's Blue Cross website and search for brokers. They will give you a big list of them, pick one and call them. I would suggest doing both and seeing what types of plans and costs you can choose from, but its still nice to talk to a real person when determining your options.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

this is where I got my insurance

I live in Las Vegas like you FF and I picked up a plan from Sierra Health and Life for just under $100 a month
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 AM

What really sucks is pre-existing conditions. If you have none, then congrats you can get insurance at a reasonable price that will cover you fully. eHealthInsurance is a good spot to look.

If you have pre-existing conditions, in alot of states you're just screwed. I for example take several prescriptions on a daily basis (allergies, bad stomach problems). When I looked into independent insurance plans first of all no insurer would even cover anything pre-existing at all for 12 months (including very costly prescriptions), and on top of that my premiums would be sky high (I applied for a plan that was about $90/month, they denied me and came back with an offer of $380/month for the same coverage).

The only thing saving me is that my current COBRA plan from when I was in college (through my parents business) will cover me indefinitely apparently (I just found this out). It's good insurance, but the prescription plan is a bit weak.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

this is where I got my insurance

I live in Las Vegas like you FF and I picked up a plan from Sierra Health and Life for just under $100 a month

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually going to be living in NYC, but thanks for the help guys.