Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Reraise for more info or hope for set?

This is a live $2/3 game.

Villian is UTG and has been playing tight straight-forward poker.
We both have about $300.

He open raises for $14.
1 fold.
Hero has JJ and I decided to raise to $35

I think Villian's range either dominates JJ or is 50/50 against it. I don't think he's raising UTG with TT or AJ.

My raise to find out whether he had AA or KK in which case I would expect him to reraise. I was hoping for a call which might indicate AK, AQ, and possibly QQ.

Postflop play would depend on whether an A,K,Q fell on board and villain's action.

Given villain's range, should I have just called and see what happens on the flop? Or is it cheaper and possibly better play to raise as I did for info and/or possibly take down pot on the flop?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Reraise for more info or hope for set?

if you know his range is that tight, then there is no reason to raise. he will almost always reraise you in which case you will have to fold.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 PM

I assume he's tight, but I don't think he's super aggressive.
I don't think he's folding, but I believe he might just call with AK and AQ because we are somewhat deep (we both have about $300 and this is a $100 buy-in game) and I don't think he wants to risk his whole stack without a made hand.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM

I also want to add that because I think he's a fairly straight-forward player, he will bet if he continues to have what he feels is the best hand on the flop and check if he misses.
I think there's a small chance he may check-raise HU on the flop if he has top or overpair.

My other reason for the raise was obviously to isolate and play HU against one player in position as opposed to having 2 or 3 callers behind.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

lol. not sure what you're posting for, you already explained both sides of the argument.

if you think you can outplay him (IE, make him fold either a hit AK, or overpair) then by all means, reraise.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Raising for information is terrible, always. U need to raise for value, if u think JJ is better than his average opening hand from that position, u might want to raise for value if u think thats the best play.

If u dont know his opening range, we should assume that JJ beats average players opening range so we can raise for value if we chose to.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 PM

I like a raise here for a few reasons. First is for value. Second is to get the pot HU in position. You don't want 4 other people calling the $14 raise behind you. You should really raise more though - to like $44 or so. When he calls/raises you can be MORE sure of your read of his hand ranges. ANY hand will call the smallish raise you made, even OOP...pps, suited broadway, etc. I know you said he shouldn't have these hands but you want to reinforce your read.

With your read if he reraises you can fold. If he calls you can play HU poker postflop - in position, in a 3 bet pot. Can't get much better than that.