Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 PM

Default .50/1 Stud H/L from HORSE

Just another hand I'd like comments on. Basically trying to figure out when I should be betting and when I should be calling.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (12.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (9.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (11.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (11.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (13.05 BB)
Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: .50/1 Stud H/L from HORSE

I like your third-street raise because of its steal potential. I love having a player who will reraise an ace when she has a queen in the door and another queen is dead, and I love even more a player who reraises an A and a Q with a jack in the door. I don't want to play worst pair and a crippled low draw for two more bets, so I fold here and wait for a better opportunity to punish the suckers.

On fourth, you caught about as good as you can hope for. You still have only backdoor draws. Check-call.

The rest is standard, given that you got that far in the first place.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

[ QUOTE ]
I like your third-street raise because of its steal potential.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, this was only done as a steal because of all the other high cards up.

[ QUOTE ]
I fold here and wait for a better opportunity to punish the suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]My thoughts at the time where that my low draw was marginal since there were no other obvious low draws invovled, and my high draw was marginal with a two flush and pair w/ overcard. I thought the pot had gotten big enough that playing my marginal hand was correct.

[ QUOTE ]
On fourth, you caught about as good as you can hope for. You still have only backdoor draws. Check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, this is my big problem in Stud H/L- I don't know where I'm supposed to be agressive. I knew I was continuing with the hand at this point, so I thought that I might as well bet if I was going to play. But really that accomplishes nothing because I'm not moving anybody off and I probably don't have enough equity to build the pot.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold here and wait for a better opportunity to punish the suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]My thoughts at the time where that my low draw was marginal since there were no other obvious low draws invovled, and my high draw was marginal with a two flush and pair w/ overcard. I thought the pot had gotten big enough that playing my marginal hand was correct

[/ QUOTE ]

For one more bet, maybe, but you have to cold-call two bets to stay in the hand. And what is the likelihood that seat 1 has any other holding than (AA)J or (JJJ)? You are up against two other high hands, and that is the worst possible situation in which to play a small pair, ace kicker or not.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For one more bet, maybe, but you have to cold-call two bets to stay in the hand. And what is the likelihood that seat 1 has any other holding than (AA)J or (JJJ)? You are up against two other high hands, and that is the worst possible situation in which to play a small pair, ace kicker or not.

[/ QUOTE ]OK, good. Thanks for the feedback- I was hoping someone would respond to this logic. Calling the two bets with a marginal hand was being a fish- I'll stop it next time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]