Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Default A Night Out in Downtown Los Angeles, A Trip Report

Had a really crappy first half to our Saturday, so the wife and I decided to have an escapist Saturday night in Downtown LA.

We started at The Edison , a bar/club that Esquire recently claimed is the "best" in Los Angeles. I don't know about that, but it's pretty cool. It's in the enormous basement of a loft building in an area of downtown that's experiencing quite a resurgence. First, it's HUGE. The ceilings in the main areas have got to be ~40 feet. There are a bunch of little nooks and crannies in the place, and cleaned-up industrial equipment is everywhere. I treated myself to a Laphroaig 30 ($37), and it was as good as a forty dollar glass of scotch should be. We had an order of calamari with some lime aoli that was really really delicious.

Overall, it's very hip and art deco-y. My only criticism is that it's trying super hard to be cool and comes out pretty far over the top. But if you've got a large group, company function, or are in the mood for something different, I recommend it. They do have a dress code that I've heard they enforce, but I saw many people in jeans (my wife and I had dressed up).

From there we went to Nick & Stef's Steakhouse , a Patina Group restaurant in the Wells Fargo Center. I used to frequent this place when I had more disposable income and had forgotten how good it is. Excellent service, awesome food. I had a dry-aged ribeye, which I believe is my new favorite cut. Odd, because I hate prime rib. They make a great tableside caesar there as well.

It was just the ticket for a grumpy pair. If you're in a rut, treat yourself to something nice. You deserve it!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: A Night Out in Downtown Los Angeles, A Trip Report

Isn't there a Nick and Stef's in MSG in NYC? I go up to L.A. in a couple of weeks and will have to check out the edison.

fyc
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM

I love the Edison. They do enforce a dress code, but it's more about just no-sneakers and no-t-shirts or baggy clothes. Most downtown places have been doing this lately. The cabaret show is pretty sweet, too.

Check out Seven Grand on 7th/Grand for a cool little whiskey bar, it has 150+ types of whiskey/scotch. Great for after work to have a scotch+cigar.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Thirded for Edison. Also Blue Velvet has a great lounge space, pool area (reminds me of the Standard) and a haute bar menu.

J Lounge is not bad, it is huge (restaurant, lounge, dance club), and also enforces dress code (my friend was wearing sandals not allowed in, luckily she had dress shoes in her car, though if she were very hot bet this wouldn't be an issue).

Haven't checked out Seven Grand but definitely will (also just read that Neal Fraser of BLD and Grace will be doing a steakhouse on the 1st floor at Seven Grand).

Owners of Seven Grand also did Golden Gopher which is more divey but cool, and Broadway Bar which I would say is like hipster chic but not too upscale.

-Al
Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM

What is this, some sort of Los Angeles geriatrics thread?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Has anyone tried Boa? My friends tried it and had high praise for it.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Deeznuts and I are not old - LF Slim is the only old man in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Al
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thirded for Edison. Also Blue Velvet has a great lounge space, pool area (reminds me of the Standard) and a haute bar menu.

J Lounge is not bad, it is huge (restaurant, lounge, dance club), and also enforces dress code (my friend was wearing sandals not allowed in, luckily she had dress shoes in her car, though if she were very hot bet this wouldn't be an issue).

Haven't checked out Seven Grand but definitely will (also just read that Neal Fraser of BLD and Grace will be doing a steakhouse on the 1st floor at Seven Grand).

Owners of Seven Grand also did Golden Gopher which is more divey but cool, and Broadway Bar which I would say is like hipster chic but not too upscale.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

J Lounge went from having a cool mixed crowd to being overrun by ghetto asians. This wknd I almost saw a fight while in line for the men's bathroom. It was hilarious. The place has gone steeply downhill since it first opened. I'm sad because it is such a cool venue.

The Gopher and Broadway Bar are great chill little venues for no fuss bar/lounges. I will check out Blue Velvet sometime in the near future.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BLD. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] downtown. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] geriatrics.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deeznuts and I are not old - LF Slim is the only old man in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
J Lounge went from having a cool mixed crowd to being overrun by ghetto asians. This wknd I almost saw a fight while in line for the men's bathroom. It was hilarious. The place has gone steeply downhill since it first opened. I'm sad because it is such a cool venue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha it's always like that? I figured the time I went couple weeks ago, it was just a random all-Azn night.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BLD

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good brunch / lunch spot, little expensive but worth it.

-Al