Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Default What is a good strategy for this style of tourney?

I play in the LPT regularly throughout the week, and I was hoping for some advice on this style of game.
Link Louisville Poker Tour

There is usually only two tables of 11, and a waiting list varying from 10-20 people. Someone goes out then someone comes right in. The original players receive 500 in chips with the new incoming players obtaining an increased amount depending on how long the game has been played. The blinds increase every 15/20 ? minutes and stop at 20/40 until all players are seated.

The players are marginally loose and weak/tight. There will be a few occasional solid players spread out thinly.

I'm looking for a good strategy for when I can't obtain a good chip lead early from the weaker players, and/or I am one of the last ones to enter the tourney with a lot of catching up to do. If you are a late entry the blinds will be on your tail.

Last season I did reasonably well because the games were not as popular. There would be 10-15 less people at each location, and I finished often. Better players this year with tougher blind structures. Last year the blinds didn't raise once until all the players were in.

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: What is a good strategy for this style of tourney?

What a weird structure? How are the payouts?

If you are one to be seated first I would play TAGGGGG (very aggressive) and try to double up your good hands and once everyone has been seated play LAG to steal the blinds.

If you are seated (say 10th) I would play LAGG and try to steal blinds from those that are weak tight and/or short and try to get paid off w/ my big hands (pretty standard).

If you are seated near the end I would enter pushbot mode and just try to get doubled up so you can really start stealing.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:38 PM

It is a fee tourney that pays out the top 3 in gift cards to the location you are at. The winner is entered into another tourney that could win you a seat to the WSOP ME.

I come in late and it is hard to be a pushbot when you have 2-3 limpers every hand. Maybe that makes it easier.

I think with my experience I just need to make sure I am one of the first ones seated.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:50 PM

I think it's easier being a pushbot w/ 3 limpers, you have to look to double up, but making these limpers pay is ok too. Be the first one to raise and push w/ suited broadways, suited aces, suited kings, and QJ+ (maybe), but you have to LAG it up and try to get yourself in this tourney.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 PM

don't play
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't play

[/ QUOTE ]

good call