Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM

Default best route from LV to PHX?

I apologize in advance for posting this here, but I know many of the posters here live in Vegas, and may be able to provide the best advice. Mods, feel free to move this if you must--I was just a little scared of OOT!

I am driving from Vegas to Phoenix for the OSU-UF game on Monday, and I am receiving conflicting advice from mapquest and others to take US-93 (to US 60) all the way, or to take I-40 to I-17. My hotel is very near the intersection of US 60 and I-17, so there is no difference as to end point. I am not concerned about sightseeing, only speed and ease of travel. We will be driving early morning, and should arrive in Phoenix before noon. Obviously, traffic is a concern (does US-60 ever get jammed up outside of PHX, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: best route from LV to PHX?

93 to 60 60 hits traffic when getting close to phoenix area. 40 is way out of way. If staying in east side of valley 60 to 74 to 17 would have worked.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM

93 to 60 is the best way. The 40/17 route is out of the way.

Like Vegasbob said, if you're on the east side of the valley take the 74 (Carefree Highway) it's much faster than dealing with the 60 once you get near Sun City (the retirement community).
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
93 to 60 is the best way. The 40/17 route is out of the way.

Like Vegasbob said, if you're on the east side of the valley take the 74 (Carefree Highway) it's much faster than dealing with the 60 once you get near Sun City (the retirement community).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advise.

The only traffic concerns might be at the damn (intentional misspelling), it can be slow or fast. Just depends on what they are doing as far as construction goes. I have been thru without any delays at all and been held up for three hours one time.

I generally make the drive in 4-6 hours depending on how the damn is and how many slow ass farmers are on 93 that are hard to pass...
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM

You can also take the 95(?) through Laughlin if you want to avoid the dam. Then take the 66 east to the 93.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07 PM

I've made the drive at night... in the rain... in under four hours. That was going ungodly fast and on the way TO vegas so there was extra motivation to get there as quickly as possible.

Aside from the dam traffic there is usually some slowness as you approach Wickenburg and get onto the 60 from the 93.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM

leave early and take 93/60 route. the only bottlenecks would be the dam and then when you get to the outskirts of phoenix. i was an over-the road trucker for 30 years, and been that route more than i could count. most of it has been upgraded to 4-lane over the years, and it is not a bad drive at all. watch for az state police between wikieup and wickenburg. disclaimer: can't predict any possible construction zones.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM

The one time I went to Phoenix, I simply took Southwest Airlines. The flight lasted less than an hour.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one time I went to Phoenix, I simply took Southwest Airlines. The flight lasted less than an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This probably would have been the best option, but I want nothing to do with Sky Harbor when Ohio State fans are in town.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was waiting for this comment. can't believe it took so long.