BB: $4.50
UTG: $1.62
UTG+1: $3.37
UTG+2: $2.05
MP1: $2.92
MP2: $0.89
Hero (CO): $1.97
BTN: $2.30

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $0.04</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.16</font>, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets $0.02</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.20</font>, MP2 calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.77) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets $0.06</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.61 and is All-In</font>, MP2 calls $0.47 and is All-In

River: ($1.83) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $1.83 Pot ($0.05 Rake)
MP2 showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a flush, King high) and LOST (-$0.89 NET)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a flush, Ace high) and WON $1.78 (+$0.89 NET)

No reads on villain. Should I have played this differently?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: dealing with shortstacker

I think it's fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Its fine, merely from the fact that he was so short stacked, that after the flop, you both pot committed. He had half a pot bet left, so you may as well look him up to see if he wants to fold, and you still had outs.

Lucky river, but you stayed aggressive and its good to see here.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Just remember: EVERY time you stack a short-stacked player -- ESPECIALLY if it's with a suckout -- you must type in the chat window:

<font color="blue">God hates short stacks.</font>

Preflop gets you to a PSR of 2; with AQ you're past the point of no return, here. On the flop you've got nothing and no folding equity -- either smooth-call the flop knowing that he's drawing or push and be done with it. Your raise only locks you into the pot without snagging your opponent, so that is the worst of both worlds.

At the turn you're dead much of the time -- if he's on the flush draw he made it, and if he had a straight draw he either hit or he's got a pair of jacks. You have no folding equity and you're behind -- there's no reason to put your money in the middle. Smooth-call and hope for a spade on the river.

If you miss your spade on the river but hit a Q or A, call his river bet or check behind. If you hit your spade, push.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Your flop raise doesn't look quite right here. I'm raising closer to pot expecting a 3bet with a stronger hand or a call that looks like a draw from an idiot who can't get paid off... And he is an idiot if he's min-betting with the plan of 3betting on a drawing board. imo

More on the flop gives him -EV for drawing (even though it is erring on -EV even with implied odds he's getting assuming you'll call a shove (or shove) when he gets his flush on the turn) and gives you the opportunity to take the pot there if he has the sense to fold.

Lets make it 2/3 - 3/4 pot on the flop.

As played I'm calling turn and putting him all-in on the river... If I didn't get the flush on the river it would have been an easy fold unless (maybe) he gave me a very cheap showdown.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">God hates short stacks.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Pokey