Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Muscle Fiber Question

When the SR release Ca++ to activate the muscle fiber, does the Ca++ bind to troponin or tropomyosin on the thin filament?

Principles of Neural Science. Kandel, Eric. 4th Ed. pp679-681

The text is not clear on this.

Thanks In Advance
Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Muscle Fiber Question

[ QUOTE ]
When the SR release Ca++ to activate the muscle fiber, does the Ca++ bind to troponin or tropomyosin on the thin filament?

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Ca++ binds to the C-unit of the troponin, causing a conformational shift that exposes the tropomyosin, which binds the myosin head.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Ca++ binds to the C-unit of the troponin, causing a conformational shift that exposes the tropomyosin, which binds the myosin head.

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me you had to look that up, or are currently a bio major...
Old 02-22-2007, 02:33 PM

Even worse - he's a med student.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If I had had to look it up, I would have gotten #46 wrong on my last physiology exam.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understood it, the tropomyosin underwent the conformational change (via Ca++) exposing binding sites on the ACTIN, with which the myosin heads attached.

I'm still unclear as to whether the myosin heads attach to actin or the tropomyosin.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understood it, the tropomyosin underwent the conformational change (via Ca++) exposing binding sites on the ACTIN, with which the myosin heads attached.

I'm still unclear as to whether the myosin heads attach to actin or the tropomyosin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you are right, I misspoke slightly. The calcium binds to the C unit of the troponin, as I said, which causes a conformational shift in the troponin molecule. This shift pulls the tropomyosin down deeper into the groove on the actin, exposing the active sight.

The myosin binds to the actin. Sorry for being wrong.

FWIW, my Guyton text says the mechanism isn't 100% known, and this is just the most popular suggestion.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If I had had to look it up, I would have gotten #46 wrong on my last physiology exam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things are now becoming clear to me hawk about ya. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Things are now becoming clear to me hawk about ya. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I still got the question right. It just asked me where the Ca++ binds to! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks In Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you are right, I misspoke slightly. The calcium binds to the C unit of the troponin, as I said, which causes a conformational shift in the troponin molecule. This shift pulls the tropomyosin down deeper into the groove on the actin, exposing the active sight.

The myosin binds to the actin. Sorry for being wrong.

FWIW, my Guyton text says the mechanism isn't 100% known, and this is just the most popular suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Kandel says something similar..along the lines of...'for reasons that are not fully yet understood'...A none to uncommon phrase in these types of texts.