Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Betting the NLD /w protection, yea or nay?

Hey guys, I'm playing in a PLO8 game with $1/$2 blinds. It's 8-handed, and I'm in the big blind. Let's say it's a normal table, what is your default line here?

Effective stacks are $250.

Dealt to BB: [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Preflop: 3 folds, 1 call, cutoff folds, button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop ($8): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB...?

Should I bet out or check here? What's the plan for the rest of the hand, if I will be OOP?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Betting the NLD /w protection, yea or nay?

Standard = Check/Call Flop. Turn Standard = fold a non-low/non-10 turn to a big bet, bet a 234, fold if you feel you're getting quartered.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 AM

Agreed w/above except for the fold if you feel you're getting quartered part.

Betting flop OOP is rarely good unless this is a very passive table.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks guys. Noted and agreed!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM

I agree with check/call most of the time. Exception is if the table is kind of passive, in which case I would bet the hand directly. The flop fit is good enough that I would like to see some money go in; my main worry at a more aggressive table would be getting HU with a hand that raises me on the flop.
Agree that the main cards we want on the turn are the other 234. If no one bet the flop, I would also bet out on any other low card or a ten that gave me trips.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM

I disagree that you should check.

23xx on a flop like this is a great place to get money in. this is a great flop for your hand. People who have an ace will give you action, and you have scooping possibilities. You also have to consider the pot at the end, if you make your hand you want to have enough in to stack someone. Therefore you definitely want to bet this flop, and hard.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed w/above except for the fold if you feel you're getting quartered part.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 4bb pot OOP, there is definitely room for a fold to the obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to consider the pot at the end, if you make your hand you want to have enough in to stack someone. Therefore you definitely want to bet this flop, and hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Running Wheel? Running Quads? In this itty bitty pot OOP, you get paid off how? Even with middle 2, & the low it's a very likely chop against competent villians.

IMHO, there are times/reasons to bet here given: Certain villians, our table image, & overall game conditions. In gerneral however we have a pulling hand, & all things being equal we have no reason to "overplay" it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM

you can get paid off if you hit your low and two people chase the high, or if you make trips, for example.

from playwinningpoker.com:

[ QUOTE ]
You should be playing more hands in most PLO8 games than you do in limit Omaha8 or PLO High (unless a game has an unusual amount of pre-flop raising). Speculative hands that are garbage in Limit can be nicely profitable in PLO8. The most obvious one is 23xx. In Limit this is the #1 sucker hand. In pot limit the hand can be played, if you play well, because of the implied action you will get. Compare having A2xx on a flop of 873 to having 23xx on a flop of A87. You WILL get more action from players holding aces and eights or aces and sevens than you will from players holding eights and sevens or eights and threes. I've seen a player go for all his chips, putting in the fourth raise on a flop like this where he had AAA. Suicide. He put in all his money just to get it back. Aces have the magical ability to make people play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

I disagree with not betting. We've got middle pair and the nut-nut low draw, and there's nine cards in the deck that give us the nut low and two pair, four cards that gives us a wheel wrap, and two cards that give us trips. That's fifteen cards that improve our equity tremendously under normal circumstances, not to mention the other twelve cards that give us the nut low. So with twenty seven ways to improve my hand in a multiway pot, and most of those twenty seven ways usually being implied odds outs as opposed to reverse implied outs (a baby flush draw often gives you nine outs but they can be dead outs) I think this is an ideal spot to build a pot. I dont want to make a PSB here, rather I'd bet half the pot and hope that (and likely achieve this) I could get some dead money in the middle.

-Tex
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 PM

i couldnt agree more with Tx, i think in general this game esepecailly at pot limit is played to passivily. You have 27 cards in the deck that are good for you, chances are if u hit a low, it will be the nut low, not to mention the fact that u have protection with the 4. Also by building a bigger pot not, if u hit a low card on the turn, then u can go ahead and freeroll bluff the turn with a big hand, and if you get a bit fortunate you'll be in a position where you can be freerolling on the turn. ALso there is a small chance that by betting u can just take the pot down there and then. Ofocurse there is always the chance that u might get raised, or run into a significantly bigger hand, but thats why poker is still gambling, and it definatly isnt the most profitiable thing to be doing by avoiding all possible margnial bet and situations, you just miss out on far to much by doing that.