Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Is this play remotely defensible (Sunday Hundred Grand, very long)

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 200/400 Blinds, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: 3,450
CO: 7,345
BTN: 10,499
SB: 3,645
BB: 16,615
UTG: 18,925
Hero (UTG+1): 14,715

Pre-Flop: (800) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
<font color="red">UTG raises to 800</font>, Observer folds, Hero calls 800, 4 folds, <font color="red">BB raises to 1,200</font>, UTG calls 400, Hero calls 400

Flop: (4,000) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)
<font color="red">BB bets 2,400</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to 5,600</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 13,490 and is All-In</font>, BB folds, UTG calls 7,890

Turn: (33,380) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 are All-In)

River: (33,380) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 are All-In)

Results: 33,380 Pot
UTG showed A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Queens) and WON 33,405 (+18,690 NET)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a pair of Queens) and LOST (-14,715 NET)

This is my first posted hand, so go easy.

1) I didn't have a read on UTG. This was the first pot he had opened in the half of an orbit he had been at the table.

2) The re-raiser preflop had been a complete spewtard in the few hands he'd been at the table -- I think his range is enormous here. I would also note that the min re-raise preflop by the spewtard makes this a really weird hand.

3) I feel like the Sunday Hundred Grand's structure is so fast that it puts a lot of pressure on a player to accumulate chips, and makes just going with your good hands a more viable strategy.

With these things kept in mind:

Is that re-raise against a player who leads out on every flop usually a raise for value or some sort of "informational" raise? I hadn't seen how the BB reacted to being raised yet, so I know UTG didn't have any history to refer to. This was the thing that screwed me up in this hand -- I decided his re-raising range here of such a laggy player was very wide and I didn't want BB getting a free card if he had 10-J or a flush draw.

Is that UTG line ever an overpair? IMHO most of the time that raise is a PP of some kind or maybe a weaker ace or K-Q, and then he doesn't re-raise preflop I felt A-A and K-K (especially K-K) were unlikely, but I could be wrong about this. To be honest I didn't think A-Q was all that likely either.

I guess my analysis is that becuase I had no FE and probably wasn't going to get a lot of value from hands I beat even against crappy micro stakes players like myself (although you never know) this was a horrible play, even though A) I thought I was ahead B) flat-calling means that BB is priced in to call with a flush draw or maybe even 10-J or something of that sort and C) UTG could be drawing as well. This is especially true because I'm not that far ahead of most draws and if I'm behind, I'm crushed except to the OESFD. But what's my play here? Call or fold? And if I call and the turn comes 4d, and BB checks and UTG pots the turn, should I just be folding to an unknown in this spot given the pot odds I'd be getting on a call?

Sorry for the length.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Is this play remotely defensible (Sunday Hundred Grand, very long)

1. in ep against a raise no raise or no action kq blows.

2. fold the flop.hu i can see raising or calling. but 2 players have shown strength. tp 2nd kicker is out.

the call preflop of the reraise is ok given pot odds and IS often an informational repop. the problem was being in pot in 1st place.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM

I would just fold your hand preflop here.

1)The original raise is UTG. You are still in early position which means that a lot of ppl still have to act. The pot is offering great pot odds for ppl to jump in in LP with SCs, PPs etc. and the Blinds get even better Pot odds. Playing KQ probably OOP in a raised multiway pot sucks. So just let it go.

2)You are aware of a loose player behind you. So there is a good chance he might reraise you again here. Playing KQ here in a reraised pot sucks even more. You should anticipate here by folding.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 PM

No, I'd say you pretty much stunk this one up.

First, IMHO you should fold preflop.

You don't have a read on UTG. His min-raise could mean anything. If you're going to play this at all, I'd rather re-raise, than flat call. I'm sure that's debatable, but with 5 more yet to act, you leave yourself wide open to a squeeze with a marginal holding. Here, you were squeezed - if you want to call it that, by the spew tard and I'd say your analysis of him was spot on. 400 more is an easy call - and luckily you're in position.

Mistake # 2: Flop comes and spewtard leads out. Heads up against this guy, take all he'll throw your way. But you are three handed and UTG raises the spewtard. Fold. He raised preflop; He raised flop. What more do you need here? What does an unknown play this way, that you have beat? I guess you could argue he has the same read on spewtard that you do and he is has JJ or something and is trying to isolate with him, but I doubt it.

Lay it down - you still have 30+ BB - plenty to work with.

oh....don't post results next time.

Good luck.....BobbyCharles.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Fold PF... cold calling two raises PF with KQo is not a good play. Then 3-betting over the top of all that action on the flop is no good as well. One of those people has you beat for sure, if not both of them.

You're too early to call the first raise PF, but if you really really insist on calling, the call of the minraise is easy. All of that action before you on the flop is a clear fold.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:11 PM

fold to the initial raise...fold to second raise...fast blind structures punish loose callers...make a habit of either reraising (just not UT raises with QK) or folding...opne more pots yourself in position...remember QK sucks (open fold UTG+1) and play aggressive rather than passive
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 AM

Its for your own good not to post results. If you don't then you'll get lots of people saying "KQ plays really badly against a raise as there's too big a chance you are dominated".

As it happens they are right, and you should have folded pre-flop (or *definetely* on the flop - you are clearly behind here) but posting results will skew the answers you get.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM

Shouldn't this hand be folded pf even if you would be first in?? At least that's what I do. I am curious if anybody would raise here if first in.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its for your own good not to post results. If you don't then you'll get lots of people saying "KQ plays really badly against a raise as there's too big a chance you are dominated".

As it happens they are right, and you should have folded pre-flop (or *definetely* on the flop - you are clearly behind here) but posting results will skew the answers you get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bookish this is true but even if he won the hand I would criticize the play...I'm pretty consistant in my dislike of KQ!!!