Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Default My name is nottom ... and I have a tilting problem.

OK, I admit it. Although I don't consider myself a great player by any stretch of the imagination, I feel like I have a good enough understanding of the game that I should be able to win at a decent rate. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I've been a breakeven ... well to be honest a losing player over the past 70k hands and surviving on rakeback alone. Although I tend to win more often than I lose, unfortunately my loses always seem to be considerably bigger. Although I rarely catch myself in fullblown tilt mode (and when I do I try and quit right away), I must be doing something differently when I'm losing that turns a moderately bad session into a complete disaster.

So fellow tiltoholics ... give me some suggestions on how to fix my problem.

edit: sorry about the second post about tilt today ... didn't see the other one 5 lines down on the page [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: My name is nottom ... and I have a tilting problem.

I exaggerate the number of outs I have and end up chasing when I should be folding.
I will also credit myself with having WAY more folidng-equity than I really have when I continuation-bet into calling-stations after a pre-flop raise.

It's a deadly combination of ridiculous chip-spewage that seems to come with cockyness after running-hot and making more reasonable decisions.

YMMV.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:28 AM

Tilt is pretty hard to control, at least for me. I try to go for a one-hour break or something similar, or even just getting up to go get water.

Lowering the number of tables should also help.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 AM

first thing...you have noticed there is a problem! I find that if I feel I am on my way to a tilt-o-rama or starting to make poor decisions, I sit-out, get a drink, to give me a break and then return and go through the HH's and re-run what I have been doing. I find it helps to re-concentrate my mind, then I get get back into the game with a new train of thought!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 AM

Tilt is pretty nasty. Based on my experience, I think it is almost 100% connected to issues outside/deeper than poker, so my advice would be to explore options for better psychological health. Better mental poker fortitude is likely to follow.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 AM

Hi Nottom.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 AM

The first step to recovery is admitting it...

But some serious advice: Don't do it anymore.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 AM

Your opponents know you are better then them at poker. But they are smart. They come up with the strategy of playing bad cards in an attempt to get lucky and tilt you. They know that eventually they'll catch and then they've got you.

Their strategy only succeeds if you let them. Stop thinking of them as morons, and start seeing them as crafty opponents who are investing in a shot to tilt you. Then foil their strategy.

good luck.
eric
Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your opponents know you are better then them at poker. But they are smart. They come up with the strategy of playing bad cards in an attempt to get lucky and tilt you. They know that eventually they'll catch and then they've got you.

Their strategy only succeeds if you let them. Stop thinking of them as morons, and start seeing them as crafty opponents who are investing in a shot to tilt you. Then foil their strategy.

good luck.
eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this advice. I never would have thought of it that way, I think thats pretty novel. Im gunna try that next time I start tilting.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 AM

My pattern for the last few months has been many small to moderate winning sessions but altogether too many BIG losing sessions. The losing sessions tend to be much longer than average and in more loose/aggressive games. I rarely go into what I can recognize as obvious tilt, but evidently the subtle kind is just as destructive.

You got plenty o' company. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]