Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Default I never know what to do in situations like this

i just joined this table, this is my second and im not familiar with any of these other players.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($99.40)
UTG ($55.15)
MP ($33.85)
Button ($169.45)
Hero ($105.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2.

Turn: ($8) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $6.

River: ($28) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $48

I thin i shouldve folded the turn, but played it like a calling station. I think i have to fold the river cause the only hand he can value betthere, or even bet at all , is the str8.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: I never know what to do in situations like this

make a bigger flop raise, and bet more on the turn.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:22 PM

1st off, raise PF. I hardly ever (never) limp in when it's folded to me in the small blind. You are simply burning money. Any aggressive player will raise you PF, and you will be OOP for the rest of the hand.

2nd, lead out on the flop. As played, raise more on the flop ($4), and lead out for at least 3/4 pot on the turn. He could have a number of draws (like a 5) and could easily be raising a 5 (or FD) on this turn just because you look so weak.

As played its hard to know where you are at on this river, and i'd definately call here getting almost 4-1. Blocking this river for 13 or so may also be a good line.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:26 PM

i catually called the river even though i thgouth for sure he ahd me
he had 85 and flopped the str8
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM

I'd probably put the BB on either a 4 or a 5 after the raise on the turn, but either way, you're very unlikely to have the winning hand if you call his river bet. What hands could he possibly make this play with where your top 2 pair are good? Two random clubs not including the 4 or 5 of clubs? Maybe the 3 or 8 of clubs for a flush and gutshot draw... These both seem kind of unlikely based on his small bet on the end. If he really missed a draw, would he really bet such a small amount that you'd feel compelled to call?

Unless you have a read on BB where you think the pot odds justify a call because there is a 20% chance he is bluffing, then fold.

And as it's already been stated, you should definitely raise here to put the pressure on BB pre-flop. He'll likely junk a raggedy hand with a 4 or 5 in it if you do. If he does call, at least you can (hopefully) narrow his range a little bit (unless he always defends his blind).