Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Sinus problems

Hey, The last couple years I've noticed (I'm 23btw) that I've been getting really winded/tired during basketball/lifting and running and I complained about how hard it is to breathe through my nose during these activities. Someone mentioned I might have sinus issues. Since making a note of that I've realized that I don't really breathe through my nose at all, since it feels like the nasal passages are about 1mm diameter and very constricted (even when just sitting at my chair, for example). I also have little to no sense of smell, presumably because I cannot/am not breathing through my nose (simple, yet I never considered that).

To put the cherry on top, I told my parents and my mom mentioned that sinus issues sort of run in the family. Great. I'm making a dr appointment to get looked at but I haven't been able to find much information online that talks about sinus issues.

Specifically:
-what can they do? give me an snorter thing? pills? surgery?
-is this something my regular dr can do or will he need to refer me to an ENT md?
-anyone had problems like these addressed, and what was the outcome?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Sinus problems

delta k,

Deviated septum is the closest, most logical thing I can think of. I had it too, but I believe the common symptom is constant congestion in one nostril or the other, not both at the same time. Here is a recent thread where this is discussed in more detail.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I'll check out the thread you linked. I'm not sure how keen I am on getting surgery and it doesn't strike me as something a pill is going to fix.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 PM

My mom had really tiny sinuses, and had to have a surgery where they went in and f-ed with them somehow to make them bigger. Anyway, after the surgery she said her nasal airway swelled shut for 6 weeks. That sounds horrible to me but I guess it wouldn't be any different for you than it is now.