Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Help Me Go Car Shopping

I'm probably going to do a batch of testdrives this spring and grab something new and shiny, and I'm digging for suggestions. I'm thinking under ~50k USD, but if there's something 5 or 10k more that I absolutely have to look at I'll keep it in mind. Here's a brief rundown of what I'm looking for:

1) Zoom: It must have a bit of zoom. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, but if I'm doing 65MPH and I step on the gas pedal I expect it to jump forward rather than creep ahead. If I'm choosing between a car with extra HP or a car with extra luxury options, I'm probably going for the latter.
2) Looking Cool Counts: For example, a BMW 328i Coupe is hot, a Lexus IS 350 is not. This does not mean that I wouldn't consider the Lexus over the former, but the reasons for doing so would have to be persuasive.
3) It Must be a Stick: It's much easier to take credit for the vehicle doing cool things when you're wiggling a stick [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
4) My Skis Must Fit: I think this basically means that part of the back seat has to fold down to provide extended access to the trunk. This is one of those things I can never find when I'm browsing websites.

Also, I live in northernish Canada, so here's a question: the truck I have right now has 4WD, and it's been great during the winter, am I to understand that AWD is basically the same thing?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Help Me Go Car Shopping

Four wheel drive means that all four wheels are used at all times. All wheel drive means that all four wheels get used some of the time. AWD gets turned on by your car if you were to skid or need power to the front wheels. AWD is generally better I think because it uses less gas but provides the same thing basically.

Cars that I would look at include:
Infiniti G35x
BMW 335i
Acura RL

The G35x and RL are both AWD. 335i is RWD. Were you also considering SUVs in your decision or just sedans? Also, the 335i coupe is much more powerful than the 328i but I believe the 328i may have AWD?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 PM

IMO, the Lexus IS350 looks pretty cool and it has the performance number to kick ass on a lot of cars in it's price range.

BMW M3?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM

You could get a nice roof rack for a car that does not have access through to the trunk. It wont get the leather all wet either. I would say the BMW 335i even though its only RWD. I love that car. I think you need to let us know if you want an SUV or a car to get a better recommendation.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 AM

335 xi
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

There's a very strong car bias here, since I plan on hanging onto my old Pathfinder for lugging my bike out to the parks anyways. One particular exception might be the infiniti FX35, which is hot stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
335 xi

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they produce a 335xi? It's not listed on the .ca or USA website.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:34 PM

check out the infinity m45
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM

335i coupe would be perfect given your description..i'd recommend that or an M3
Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check out the infinity m45

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand this thing is the llama's pajamas, but the 45 is definately pushing the price range a bit. They do have a 35 with AWD for 60k CAN though. What's this "automatic transmission with manual shift mode" stuff about? Sounds suspisious. Can it be driven as a normal stick, or is it just some faux-pas stick that lets me downshift?

Also with the 328i vs the 335i are we talking about a huge difference in performance, or just the sort of HP jump that I'm going to want if I'm being really silly?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Audi S4 (or RS4 if the crazy kick butt perfomance is worth the extra money to you).

They are both AWD or avail with it, Audi calls it Quattro, are avail with a 6 spd manual, will fit your skis and are understated, but very cool (in an understated way).