Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Default IAEA: Iranian cooperation significant

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/...QLvBnVMces0NUE

"..U.N. officials said, both enrichment and the building of a plutonium-producing reactor was continuing more slowly than expected."
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: IAEA: Iranian cooperation significant

irrelevant.

the buzz by those in the know is that they will begin selling the case for the attack in Iran after Labor Day - (just as they did with Iraq, unveiling their big speech at 9/11) -

It is the inevitability of such an attack that has many thinking this is why insiders so close to the President are finally bailing - there has always been a tension between his loyal followers in the Administration and Cheney, and Cheney is pushing for this attack.

pretty sad really.

rb
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
irrelevant.

the buzz by those in the know is that they will begin selling the case for the attack in Iran after Labor Day - (just as they did with Iraq, unveiling their big speech at 9/11) -

It is the inevitability of such an attack that has many thinking this is why insiders so close to the President are finally bailing - there has always been a tension between his loyal followers in the Administration and Cheney, and Cheney is pushing for this attack.

pretty sad really.

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

Look. In the 70s, 100s of thousands protested the Vietnam War and you can find pics of us marching in D.C.

If Bush/Cheney starts pressing for an attack on Iran, every single one of you, better shut down your poker site, get up off of your lazy ass and start marching.

I'll be there, and I expect every single one of you internet debatists, who oppose such an action, to do something more than just post your opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look. In the 70s, 100s of thousands protested the Vietnam War and you can find pics of us marching in D.C.

If Bush/Cheney starts pressing for an attack on Iran, every single one of you, better shut down your poker site, get up off of your lazy ass and start marching.

I'll be there, and I expect every single one of you internet debatists, who oppose such an action, to do something more than just post your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that marching will achieve anything more than just complaining to one's peers? Do you really think that marching is the only way to "get the message" across to elected officials? Do you think politicians pay more attention to the protesters outside their gates or the general public opinion polls.

You seem to be attributing the end of the Vietnam war to your activism. Seems pretty naive to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that marching will achieve anything more than just complaining to one's peers? Do you really think that marching is the only way to "get the message" across to elected officials? Do you think politicians pay more attention to the protesters outside their gates or the general public opinion polls.

You seem to be attributing the end of the Vietnam war to your activism. Seems pretty naive to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. A march on Washington, with the masses seen during the Vietnam War would get as much coverage as Sen Craig's bathroom antics.

If it had no impact, why did Nixon have the FBI do so much spying on the leaders?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it had no impact, why did Nixon have the FBI do so much spying on the leaders?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say NO impact, I said MORE impact than other methods. Personally, my guess it that the proliferation of anti-government views on the internet beats protest marches hands down in terms of swaying public opinion. One spreads information very quickly, through unfiltered media, constantly. The other takes tons of time and effort to organize, is presented to the public through the filter of news organizations, and occurs infrequently and is quickly forgotten.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say NO impact, I said MORE impact than other methods. Personally, my guess it that the proliferation of anti-government views on the internet beats protest marches hands down in terms of swaying public opinion. One spreads information very quickly, through unfiltered media, constantly. The other takes tons of time and effort to organize, is presented to the public through the filter of news organizations, and occurs infrequently and is quickly forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But wouldn't 100k people taking a crap on the lawn stretching from the white house to congress add a little political aroma to the e-mails and phone calls we make to our reps?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But wouldn't 100k people taking a crap on the lawn stretching from the white house to congress add a little political aroma to the e-mails and phone calls we make to our reps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think talking to your rep directly, whether you make a stink or not, is futile. No matter how convincing your argument, or how loud your thousand man march is, if your rep does not see an opinion poll indicating a general trend in voter preference then he/she will not react.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think talking to your rep directly, whether you make a stink or not, is futile. No matter how convincing your argument, or how loud your thousand man march is, if your rep does not see an opinion poll indicating a general trend in voter preference then he/she will not react.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it is the vocalization of the masses against amnesty for illegal immigrants that got it our way?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it is the vocalization of the masses against amnesty for illegal immigrants that got it our way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "vocalization". Not sure what you mean.