Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 04:14 AM

Default A New Direction For America

'A New Direction for America' is apparently the clarion call for Democratic victory in November. From www.democraticleader.house.gov. the following "Our new direction will advance a common agenda, seek common ground, and apply common sense in the service of the common good. We know that with a new direction, we can meet our national challenges in a way that makes our nation stronger, our economy more vibrant, and our families more secure."

I'm sure the phrase was focus grouped, I think it might work for them, although not sure Pelosi is up to being the standardbearer. They need a little more zest in the details, but will it have the same appeal as the politically astute 'Contract With America' of '94? All online players better hope so.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: A New Direction For America

They'll fail.

That's all Democrats are good at.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'll fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

wishful thinking - come Nov - I expect you'll lose at least the House - most Americans don't drink the koolaid anymore

hmmm...doesn't the House have the say in impeachment proceedings? -- hmmm....

RB
Old 06-17-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'll fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is the Dems need to appeal to their most left constituency to raise the big cash they need since the most recent passage of campaign finance law. Moveon.org groups have a lot more sway, and this could be their undoing in the fall. If they can assuage their contributors and still appeal to the mainstream who I think are ready for change, they've got a shot. Won't be easy, but I think the Republicans are easy targets this time around with the corrupton(perceived or otherwise) and extended war.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:52 AM

More nebulous drivel from the dumocrats. The same 'ol NOT! campaign dressed up with a new name. If they really want to run on "a new direction" then they need to say where that direction leads and what the details are of how to get there.

I read an analysis the other day of the recent special election in California where a republican won out despite the president's bad poll numbers. It said the 2 keys were first that the repub base, while not delighted with the performance of the president and congressional repubs, still were solid at the polls in voting repub, and that the dems were in fact very successful in garnering the votes of those who describe themselves as independents. But the 2nd key is that only matters in close districts and most districts aren't close, especially with the successful repub gerrymander of Texas districts.

So while their dream of taking back Congress is certainly attainable, it is far from certain that they can in fact pick up enough seats in close districts to overcome the repub base remaining solid. They need actual policies to do that instead of slogans and NOT!.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:47 AM

IMO the far left groups are too liberal for the average democrat.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the far left groups are too liberal for the average democrat.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the point. The big bucks are on the far left, but the constituency isnt, so unless the dems play a 3 card monte game of appeasing the center during the campaign but remaining true to their funding in action they have a problem.

Shrillary is already playing that game and the $ base doesnt like it, unless are playing to a well thought out script (make our moderate liberals think we arent in control).
Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM

I think the average Democrat voter is more liberal then you guys think.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the average Democrat voter is more liberal then you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we're not. The average democrat is much less liberal than people on these boards think. However, the average Democrat who votes in the primaries is very liberal. Therein lies the rub.

And it doesn't matter what the dems do because the republicans are smarter at campaigning, and their going to make this election about illegal immigration, gay marriage, flag burning, etc, and the American People are too easily swayed to vote on the important issues.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 AM

The Dems will get a lot of hype for how big of a sweep they'll have but in the end they'll fail. The Dems are [censored] morons...I hate the Reps but at least they know what they're doing.

Cant wait till HC gets the nomination and then gets destroyed...fking [censored] democrats