Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Default limcash - nl parallel: commitment

So I'm currently very early on in a journey to learn nl, and I was looking over a hu limcash session that someone else played yesterday.

One of the training wheels that I have going for me in nl right now is the concept of determining early on if you want to commit all of your chips to the pot. If you don't, you play to keep the pot small, or you put in a bluff with the intention of folding to further action. If you do, then you play to inflate the pot so that a push has a reasonable chance of getting called.

I was thinking of the concept of commitment when looking over the other player's session, and looking at the slight parallel that hu limit holdem specifically has to nl holdem: There are times when you have to decide pf or on the flop if you want to show down this hand. In nl it'll be because you have to call a shove and will see the river regardless. In limit it will be because ranges are wide enough that pot size/hand strength rule folding at any point out of the equation. Since you're not making turn or river folds in either situation, the thought processes can run oddly parallel.

In nl, you flop a hand and ask yourself: Do I want to commit all of my chips?

In limit, you flop a hand and ask yourself: Do I want to commit to showdown?

The cool thing is, if you get good at consciously making this decision on the flop you can really send to boat sailing along on its way on the two most important streets - the turn and river.

A couple of lhe examples vs an aggressive villain:

1)you raise the sb with 55 and villain calls. The flop comes down 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villain bets out, and has been doing so fairly frequently.

At this point you should be making a showdown decision. If you decide that villain is aggressive enough that you never want to fold here, then just call down and dont put yourself in a folding situation. If you read the villain as closer to the tag than maniac side of aggressive, then you don't have to commit to sd and can raise to apply pressure, folding to ugly cards or heavy action.

By deciding your level of showdown committment early on, you're playing all three streets in concert with each other, and not making unsavory bet/folds in big pots vs aggro villains.

2)villain raises in the sb and you reraise with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. villain calls.

the flop comes down Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The best flop action will be dependant on your decision as to whether or not you want to commit to sd. The flop action will dictate the turn action, and the turn action will dicatate the river action. Your determination of commitment comes down to your read of the opponent in spots like this, but can lead to some cool plays when you make good commitment decisions and stick to them.

In this hand, if you decide that you don't want to commit to sd because villain is not a blind "bet when checked to" maniac, then you can check the flop and raise if he bets - repping the Q while staying in temp with a "commit to sd" line that you could take against a chronic bluffer and that could have you check/calling all the way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

you wont want to make showdown commitments early in hands that have lots of dynamics in play (like big draws or drawy boards), and you wont want to make showdown commitments early when you have control of a hand (position + initiative, or a really solid betting line tell)

you will want to make commitment decisions early when you're up against a very wide range (villain has pf or flop initiative) and when the risk of losing bets is cheaper than the risk of folding winners (oop with marginal made hands vs aggro players.)

The sum of this is that you'll be making a lot of early showdown commitments when out of position vs an aggro player, and you'll almost never make an early showdown decision with position and initiative vs a controllable player. This adds up to the well-known mantra that you don't bluff at fishes and you don't fold to maniacs, but by looking at the hand holistically you can keep yourself out of trouble.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: limcash - nl parallel: commitment

guruman,

i can dig it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: limcash - nl parallel: commitment

this thread needs more love. I can relate coming from LHU to NLHU.