Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Default AK

Hey there....

This was 6-max... but 1 guy had just busted and one was sitting out so we were at 3.

SB was about 40/15, hadn't done anything really stupid. I had tangled with him once PF. He had raised to 5, I r/r with AKo to 15, he went all in , I folded.

If the bets/stack sizes to exactly match up, it's because the converter messed up, so I filled them in as best I could... they are about what they should be.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: .50/1
3 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Button: $95
SB: $120.76
Hero: $155.15

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($12, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $10</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

standard C-bet

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($35, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in $95.76</font>, Hero.....

Obviously if there was to A or K, I was gonna check it through. But what should I have done here?

-Ftball
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: AK

meh without a solid read I would fold. This looks alot like a set.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 AM

I check this turn a fair amount of the time.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you explain the turn check? Is it strictly for pot control? I would think about checking for pot control purposes, but the fact taht the board is somewhat coordinated would drive me to bet.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:02 PM

You can induce him to bluff on the river and call. If he checks again on the river, valuebet. This way you lose the minimum when behind and you probably would not have got more if you were ahead. So I really like the check here on the turn.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can induce him to bluff on the river and call. If he checks again on the river, valuebet. This way you lose the minimum when behind and you probably would not have got more if you were ahead. So I really like the check here on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much the same as my thoughts on it. Plently of hands that would fold the turn will bet/bluff the river or call your river bet.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
... This is true unelss villian was on a club draw and is willing to chase (and assuming he won't fire at his missed draws on the river which is a pretty safe assumption).
Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How coordinated of a board does it take to check the turn here? Would you still check a rainbow K952 board?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
... This is true unelss villian was on a club draw and is willing to chase (and assuming he won't fire at his missed draws on the river which is a pretty safe assumption).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd really be surprised to see 2 clubs here. He is willing to push the turn but not raise the flop? Well, yea ok, Kx[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would probably be possible here but nevertheless I like the check. Just don't want to play a big pot with TPTK.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd really be surprised to see 2 clubs here. He is willing to push the turn but not raise the flop? Well, yea ok, Kx[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would probably be possible here but nevertheless I like the check. Just don't want to play a big pot with TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thinking is results oriented. We were discussing whether or not hero should bet turn, and before villian's action on the turn, he could very well have been on a flush draw.