Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Default He loves to check/raise, bluff and beat me, possibly boring/standard

40 full 7 handed. Villain is Dr Jose. I think he thinks I'm pretty good, which is actually bad because it means he tries to outplay me constantly and makes it not so easy to play against him. He's capable of c/r flop or turn as bluff/semibluff easy, I would be extremely surprised if he's not capable of bluff raise or c/r the river although I've yet to see it. I've had the best of him by far today, but he is still winning and confident. He has caught me once on the river with Q high, initially I thought it was a bad call, but thinking back it was an excellent call. He probably doesn't know this and was just trying to show me up in case I was bluffing, but it was a good call. Almost every other time we've been involved in a big pot I have won and small pots he has won.

He limps UTG, I raise next with KQo, both blinds call, he LRR (means that he likes his hand, not that his hand is good necessarily), all call.

Flop: K62r

Checks to me, I bet, blinds fold, villain calls in frustration. This might mean he's frustrated. It might mean he's going to get me on the next card.

Turn: 7 flush draw possibilities (K7 sooted)

He check/calls quickly.

River: A of not flush draw

He checks

I think it's very likely 2 bets are going to go in here and his acting seems to indicate a flush draw.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: He loves to check/raise, bluff and beat me, possibly boring/standard

I would check behind, as I don't really have a handle on his elaborate-bluffing-on-the-river frequency. I doubt this is the type of guy who c/c's this flop after lrr'ing preflop without a monster or very weak draw.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: He loves to check/raise, bluff and beat me, possibly boring/standard

[ QUOTE ]
40 full 7 handed. Villain is Dr Jose. I think he thinks I'm pretty good, which is actually bad because it means he tries to outplay me constantly and makes it not so easy to play against him. He's capable of c/r flop or turn as bluff/semibluff easy, I would be extremely surprised if he's not capable of bluff raise or c/r the river although I've yet to see it. I've had the best of him by far today, but he is still winning and confident. He has caught me once on the river with Q high, initially I thought it was a bad call, but thinking back it was an excellent call. He probably doesn't know this and was just trying to show me up in case I was bluffing, but it was a good call. Almost every other time we've been involved in a big pot I have won and small pots he has won.

He limps UTG, I raise next with KQo, both blinds call, he LRR (means that he likes his hand, not that his hand is good necessarily), all call.

Flop: K62r

Checks to me, I bet, blinds fold, villain calls in frustration. This might mean he's frustrated. It might mean he's going to get me on the next card.

Turn: 7 flush draw possibilities (K7 sooted)

He check/calls quickly.

River: A of not flush draw

He checks

I think it's very likely 2 bets are going to go in here and his acting seems to indicate a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine what worse hand he will pay off with here that you havent heard from already.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: He loves to check/raise, bluff and beat me, possibly boring/standa

pretty easy river check
Old 03-15-2007, 12:28 AM

I'd check for all the above reasons plus you get to see the pieces with which he hoped to construct this masterpiece.

The faux strength limp RR is becoming all the rage. I've seen it done with pocket 77s and 42s in very recent memory. You may as see out what all the theatrics were about. I'd try to file away the mannerisms for future recollection.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 AM

I think checking here, given your description, is fine.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty easy river check

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:40 PM

HOWMANY if you can induce a 2bet bluff on the river i'd say go for it, if he would bluff in this spot more then 50% of the time i'd say its +EV to get him to bluff off an extra bet. The only bad thing is it may discourage him to bluff vs. you more in the future, but I think that just makes him easier to play. but yea the induce a bluff thing sounds cool, and fun, so F it, nie han sur.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:51 PM

OP, inducing a check-raise bluff here, or getting him to call you with a small pair (trying to "snap you off"), would be really sweet for sure.

I think you have to have a really good read to make this play, though, and part of that read has to be that this guy is at least a little on tilt (maybe just when playing you) and isn't thinking clearly. The fact that so many people say to check the river really just means that your read has to be that much stronger.

Only you know if your read is good enough for this move. I've seen spots before where something like this might work, but they are few and far between.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Lot of good advice in this thread. I agree that you need a pretty good read to induce a bluff, most likely checking is the safe play. Whats with people LRR though? I have seen people do this OOP often at the 9/20 @ Commerce. Most of the time it seems like they are gambling