Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 02-27-2006, 09:59 PM

Default First hand at 2/4 table with 9-3s in CO

I want to know what you think about this play. This is the first hand I played at this table, so I didn't have any reads. Was the pre-flop call awful? What about after the flop?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls $1.50 (All-In), Hero calls.

River: (21.62 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 24.37 BB
Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: First hand at 2/4 table with 9-3s in CO

I hate your PF call. The rest is totally standard.

- C -
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 PM

Why do you hate his PF call? I hope you don't mean he should fold.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 PM

I'd fold preflop. As played, I'd 3-bet the flop. You have an equity advantage and the possibility of seeing the turn for free.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM

Why do you hate his PF call? I hope you don't mean he should fold.

You're right. 93s is an awesome hand that can stand up to an EP PFR with three people having to act behind you and only one other player.

Posted only makes this a non-disasterous mistake. It's still a mistake.

- C -
Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 AM

At the risk of getting flamed (there is no doubt you're a better poker player than me), I think folding here is too tight. The OP is suited, has position on the original raiser and is getting more than 5:1 on his call. Clearly, his implied odds are good if he hits a favorable flop and he can easily fold if he doesn't. Don't you think that is generally a good time to make a call here?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 AM

Not sure why I'm "no doubt" better than you. I don't think I have any qualifications here that rank me above or below anyone else. I'll take you at face value and chalk it up that maybe you're just inexperienced, but don't assume I'm better for whatever reason...I very well might not be!

I don't like calling for a lot of reasons...
- 5 to 1 isn't a great price on a piece of crap hand, even with position.
- The raiser is UTG, ultimate crappy position, and likes his hand enough to build a pot with it.
- There's only one caller. Not like there's a bunch of players to get action from with a favorable flop.
- There are three people to act behind him. There's no guarantee he's even getting 5 to 1 on his money...if it gets reraised he's now made a disasterous decision to play garbage for two more bets. It gets even uglier if button is the 3b since now he's lost any positional advantage.

Get these cards more connected and you can justify it. Even 96s might be playable a little tiny bit if you can say you can play post-flop perfectly...I'd still fold it (barring reads), but it's not terrible to call something like this.

93s is garbage and this is hardly a good enough situation to play it.

- C -
Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 AM

I didn't really like my call pre-flop either to be honest. I would not normally do that, especially since it was my 1st hand at the table. I felt like there was a good chance the BB would call if I called and it wasn't re-raised by the button or SB. That might be a weakness of mine. I try to guess if the blinds will call, thus giving me better pot odds.

I know I got real lucky with this hand. UTG had pocket K's and called me a fish for a half hour after this hand. It was pretty fun because I won a couple more big pots from him while he was steaming when I actually had big hands. The other 2 players who got all of their money in had 5-6o and 6-7o.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of getting flamed (there is no doubt you're a better poker player than me), I think folding here is too tight. The OP is suited, has position on the original raiser and is getting more than 5:1 on his call. Clearly, his implied odds are good if he hits a favorable flop and he can easily fold if he doesn't. Don't you think that is generally a good time to make a call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

whhaaattt??????????
Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 AM

9-3? That's the SIK! Some folks attribute that hand with mystical powers on the Poker Network skins.

And for more superstitious BS, I rarely fold my first hand at a table, for some reason it seems to hit a lot more than it should regardless of what the cards are.

The Poker Gods don't need no stinkin math or optimum poker stategery! They like players with cajones! NH.