Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Omaha 8 Tourneys?

I am a micro stakes limit player (.25/50-.5/1, occasionally take a shot at 1/2 or 2/4), anyways I am starting to venture away to the omaha MTT's and am having a hard time adjusting to the full tables of them, and the tournament style. I am only playing micro stake mtt's and no one ever folds, its incredible. I am so used to 6 max games (HORSE obv 8 max, but omaha8 and lhe game suffer there as well) that I am finding it hard to adjust. Advice?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Omaha 8 Tourneys?

in loose games where no one folds you should be nut peddling. Play hands that can make the nuts, suited aces, A23x hands.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM

Keep practising, there is only one way to get better at the game and that's to play more. Just acknowledge that it will cost you some money to learn the new style.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 AM

I'm assuming you are playing limit micro O8 tourneys (I never played micros, but have played some small buy ins like $20 which play the same). You must enjoy the feeling of having your nuts in a vise. Seriously, this is a bit of a crapshoot. The pot is almost always capped preflop w/ 4-5 players (or more) in the early going.

To succeed it is important to try and build a big stack before the break, when the blinds will start to eat you alive. Thus, in the very early stages, I am willing to gamble preflop with a fairly wide variety of holdings (don't get nutty and start playing 6789). Big pairs are nice here because you can scoop a huge pot if you get lucky. If I don't flop a very strong hand or draw I dump the hand. The game will tighten up a bit after the 1st break when players start dropping, the game will start to resemble poker sometime in the 2nd hour. It is imperative to have a big stack or to have busted out by this point. Since this is limit, you will not have the chance to cut down your opponents' odds much preflop and will watch a big stack with a ridiculous hand take the rest of your chips.

My advice basically boils down to: Be willing to gamble preflop in the early stages. Get a big stack, or bust out early. This will cut down on your frustration.