Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Default PS $11 - BB wakes up when the river pairs

I have been playing a lot of $11 PS lately, but this hand had me stumped...it is the second hand of the tournament, so I have no reads. This hand history is also from memory.

Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1590)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1480)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)

Blinds Post...

Dealt to Hero 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero calls 20 (I almost folded, but then I thought I would limp and hope the table limps behind or doesn't raise big. I will probably fold to any serious raising...), UTG+1 calls 20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 20, MP3 folds, CO calls 20, SB calls 10 BB checks. (There may have been one more limper...I can't recall)

Pot is t120 ... Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero raises t120 ( I feel this is a relatively good flop for me. I am tempted to raise bigger, but I feel I can stand a call with an OESD, and because the board is draw heavy, I feel/hope that any one who has me beat will begin to do some serious raising); 4 folds, BB calls t120

Pot is t360 turn [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero raises t470, BB calls t470 (I almost push here, I am pretty sure I have the best hand, but if I don't try to make any more money off this hand, why did I play the draw at all...I didn't mean to raise t470, I was thinking 360-400 but 470 got typed...prolly because the pot was 470 on another screen where a shorty was all-in)

Pot is t1300 River comes [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB raises 890 (all-in), Hero ????
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: PS $11 - BB wakes up when the river pairs

Looks like a boat - but could also be the same straight. With a straight, villain prob would have raised the turn when the 2-flush hit, as the pot is getting kinda sizeable.

Why such a large river push? Unless Villain is good enough to know what you were likely holding, and pushed his boat exactly in that fashion...I don't know, I'm 50/50 with this one
Old 04-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: PS $11 - BB wakes up when the river pairs

I put him on a boat or a bluff. I had trouble ruling out a bluff because if he had a set on the flop why wasn't he raising with that flop? I know the typical "I flopped a set" play at this buy-in is to check/call, but with that board even the weaker players tend to raise. I guess that's what stumped me...

I see this all the time in the $11's, they either misplayed their made hand which got better or they're bluffing because they just realized they got 1/2 their chips in their.

Here, I didn't think the same str8 or a better one (T8) was as likely as a boat as I had two of the 8's and he would have most likely have gone all-in on the turn.

Thanks for the reply.