Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Some Short stack 25-50 action...

Decided to play some deep stacked (most sitting w/ at least 200BB and playing laggy) 25-50 games w/ a short one (don't have the bankroll to play 100BB 25-50)...

I've folded for a couple rounds, 6 handed.

I'm in the CO w/ AQs and open for $175 w/ a $2k stack. Button calls (covers me obviously). Blinds fold.

I've seen button CR w/ a draw then bet out most of pot when hit the hidden part of the draw (gut-shot). His CR was like an extra $500 onto a $300 bet, so not a pot sized one. He seems pretty aggressive, especially to weakness.

Flop ($425) T73 w/ two of my suit. I feel like I have two options here - bet small or CR all-in. If I bet small, I'm hoping he puts in a less than pot-sized raise so I can push and still have some folding equity against a pair.

Which line is better?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Some Short stack 25-50 action...

personally I like bet small/3bet or...bet small and if called and miss, c/r all in on turn.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Well pot is about 400 now and you've got like 1600 behind. If you bet 250 and he raises to 1000 you will have NO FE vs any made hand.

By making your small bet you are pretty much hoping that he makes a less than Pot Sized raise in order for you to raise all in with some FE which is asking a lot of him. It's no big deal if you give a free card here so I think c/r is better.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Good point with stack sizes Grim....I didn't pay enough attention. c/r flop yeah.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

assuming he's a semi-thinking player, I don't think you can expect a raise from him very often on this flop - he's not stupid, he sees how tight you're playing and he sees how little money you have left.....the only thing betting small does is entice him to call with a straight draw or something like that, which you don't want.....if he has a set, you're going broke either way so I don't like either of your two line options and instead vote for option three - bet about $500 (or more) on the flop and stick the rest in on the turn......
Old 04-26-2006, 01:07 PM

c/r looks good.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Thanks for responses - I decided that I was going to go for a big mistake from opponent but looking back it may not have been the best move (in the long run).

I bet $200, He did the small raise I was hoping he would to $700, I pushed, and he folded quickly. Must have been some subconscious thing about the way he played that made me reason he would make that move and fold...

I like the CR line as well. Coltrane's overbet flop push turn is intriguing - still not sure I like it... Seems like he'll fold a lot, but when I'm called, I'm probably putting in money on the turn as a decent dog when called... have to think about this more later.