Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Default 10/20 full T7o blind hand

opponent is 29/14/2.7

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, intending to call a bet
Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: 10/20 full T7o blind hand

Do you have a bit more of a read?

The guy is definitely aggro, but a 2.7 can mean a few different things. In general, it suggests to me that on the turn he is either raising or folding, but some 2.7's will get that number by raising a lot and some by folding a lot...

Do we have a turn aggro number? A raise turn %? Have you seen him raise draws on the turn, or try to take a free showdown with A high and such?

My point is that the flop check-raise/bet turn line is really not so great against an aggro guy who doesn't like to relinquish hands. 29/14/2.7 sounds more to me like a guy who is NOT giving this hand up without a fight. In which case, pumping bets in with your double-gutter against his A high or whatever out of position is actually probably not the best idea. Having played more 6max, I've become more judicious about this sort of flop-check-raise-with-big-draw line because there are so many players who are going to make your life hell if you try it.

Once you get raised on the turn and the 7 comes, you're kind of in a tough spot. You can only beat a (semi)-bluff at this point. My guess is that this guy is the type to fire the last bullet if he's bluffing, but maybe not. I hate putting in a bet on that river but the pot has gotten big and if you think the dude would try to force you out with a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then I guess you need to look him up and hope to be shown crap 10% of the time...
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Played absolutely fine postflop.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:09 PM

Yea his line looks a lot like a big diamond, hopefuly there's no queen with it.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having played more 6max, I've become more judicious about this sort of flop-check-raise-with-big-draw line because there are so many players who are going to make your life hell if you try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not allowing yourself to be pushed around have any merit in a hand like this?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having played more 6max, I've become more judicious about this sort of flop-check-raise-with-big-draw line because there are so many players who are going to make your life hell if you try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not allowing yourself to be pushed around have any merit in a hand like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but "not allowing yourself to be pushed around" through aggressive play is not necessarily always the best play to counteract someone trying to push you around. Some aggro. types will back off and fold better hands to opposing aggression; some will just keep fighting back hard. The former type are better targets for aggression; the latter for "passive-aggression" in which you lure your opponent into making mistakes through their overaggression.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some aggro. types will back off and fold better hands to opposing aggression; some will just keep fighting back hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the best line is if you don't know this info?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM

Augie,

My guess is that someone who maintains that aggro level with that high a VPIP is doing so by fighting pretty hard. So I prefer check-calling this flop against this guy.