Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Demon (an advanced Werewolf variant) Interest Thread

I really enjoy the Werewolf games going on, and I like the game dynamic. I think with a little bit of tweaking this forum will decide on a standard of play that is balanced between wolves and villagers.

The variant I outline below is a new game, with the same basic premise as WW, but with some more complex roles and rules. This isn't intended to relpace WW, or provide a new standard. I just had an idea, and am curious if it would be fun. If there is sufficient interest, I will mod this game when STTF-WW5 ends.

"For years, the village suffered myserious deaths, poor crop yields, and unexplained illness. The town magistrate sends word out for help, and though he does not realize it, help has arrived."

Basic Rules:
I would want to set some kind of time limit for the rounds, and players need to maintain at least a minimal level of activity. Roles are revealed for those lynched during the day, but not at night (see Oracle below).

Roles:
<u>Demons</u> - Foul creatures who steal human souls and then wear their skin. The demons enjoy the misery of the village, and seek to remain so long as the residents are suffering. (Starting Number - 2; Can chat privately with one another day and night (telepathic bond); At night the demons can kill one person, convert one person into a demon (by sucking out their soul), or do nothing; If they choose to kill or convert they must also decide which demon is doing the deed)

<u>Demon Hunter</u> - A travelling warrior (like Cain, in Kung Fu), the demon hunter is focused and accomplished. He will bring peace and freedom to the village, or leave a ghost town in his wake; either way, the demons will be destroyed. (Starting Number - 1; Demon Hunter can choose to kill any one player at night, or do nothing; If the Demon Hunter is targeted by a demon (kill or possession) the demon dies and the Hunter is PM'd about the attempt

<u>Angel</u> - A divine guardian sent to protect innocents from Demonic taint. The angel has adopted a human form, and accepted limitations of the flesh, including mortality. (Can choose to protect one person at night other than himself. The protection counteracts demonic possesion, or killing by a demon or demon hunter; If a demon attempts to possess the angel, both the angel and the demon are destroyed)

<u>Oracle</u> - When the demons first started plagueing the village, one townsperson was granted Divine visions. The Oracle now dreams about those killed in the village, and sees the true nature of their soul. The Divine gift also offers limited protection from possession. (Receives a PM revealing the role of anyone killed at night; If the Oracle is targeted for possession, the attempt fails, and the Oracle is PM'd the demon who tried)

<u>Magistrate</u> - The Magistrate is a prominent member of the community with great influence over the colective decisions of the village. He feels responsible for his community, and prays each night for salvation. (Known Role; Starting Number - 1; Can grant one person immunity from lynching, even after they have a majority vote against them, provided he does so before time is up in the round; If possessed, he keeps his ability)

Winning Conditions:
Note that the Demon Hunter and Angel are not considered "Villagers" for purpose of the winning conditions.

<u>Demons:</u> Demon Hunter, Angel, and Oracle are dead
<u>Demon Hunter:</u> All demons are dead
<u>Angel:</u> Same as Villager win condition
<u>Villagers:</u> All Demons are dead, and at least 2 Villagers are alive

When a person is possessed at night there is no mention of it in the write-up. They become a demon, are included in the private demon chat, and have the demon win condition.

Obviously this game is a lot more to keep track of than standard WW. I am not sure if that is better or worse (or just different), but I would like to find out if this game is enjoyable. If you are interested in playing a Demon game that will start some time this week, post here.

J
Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Demon (an advanced Werewolf variant) Interest Thread

I'm not sure if it's balanced, but it looks pretty interesting. Probably needs to be a pretty big game, with all the special roles. The magistrate, angel, and oracle all look like they have more strategy to think about than the seer and angel in regular games, which is a good thing.

Depending on when exactly you start, I'd be willing to give it a try.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if it's balanced, but it looks pretty interesting. Probably needs to be a pretty big game, with all the special roles. The magistrate, angel, and oracle all look like they have more strategy to think about than the seer and angel in regular games, which is a good thing.

Depending on when exactly you start, I'd be willing to give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I forgot to put my intended number of players.

2 Demons
1 Demon Hunter
1 Angel
14-16 Villagers (1 Oracle, 1 Magistrate)

Also, the villagers can vote not to lynch anyone during the day, but it requires a 2/3 majority.

J
Old 04-16-2006, 01:03 PM

I like it alot. I'd play if it was a slow-paced game, like one day= one real day or something. Don't really have time otherwise, but I like the idea of the game.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:22 PM

If you're a villager and you get converted to a demon, do you win when the demons win or when the villagers win?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:33 PM

How can the demon hunter die?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can the demon hunter die?

[/ QUOTE ]

By being voted for execution, it looks like. The demons can't get him at night, but if they muster enough votes they can lynch him (unless the magistrate intervenes, but he could easily be a demon by that point).
Old 04-16-2006, 02:00 PM

Why wouldn't he just say "i'm the demon hunter"
Old 04-16-2006, 02:01 PM

Can the oracle investigate someone at night, or do they just find out after someone is killed?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't he just say "i'm the demon hunter"

[/ QUOTE ]

Early on, I have no idea, but at least one game had a seer lynched early without speaking up so it's conceivable if not necessarily a bright idea. Later on, the demons might have the numbers to control the lynching vote.